Vision Applications Engineer
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Automation and Controls is currently recruiting for a Vision Applications Engineer in Wixom, MI.
Vision applications engineers design and integrate vision systems in automation facilities.
Typical vision systems use cameras and sensors to perform the following:
- Code Readers – Reading 1D and 2D codes marked directly on a part
- Error Proofing – Verifying the components are correctly assembled
- Sorting – Different parts from each other or good form defective parts
- Gauging – Measuring parts and analyzing them to a specification
- Robot Guidance – Guiding the pick & plac
This position offers an opportunity to work for a solid company in the growing field of Machine Vision.
- Knowledge of machine vision programming, optical designs, design logic, camera logic and PLC logic preferred.This position is hand on engineering and requires aptitude in the following areas: (On the job training will be provided)
- Electrical – Designing the vision system’s electrical integration into an automated cell
- Programming – Writing programs using the camera manufacturer’s interface as well as some object-orientated programming
- Mechanical – designing the mounting of the cameras and lights into a machine or cell, knowledge of AutoCAD or Solid Works is a plus
- Optical – Designing the optical path and selecting the appropriate cameras, lensing, and lighting for the application – knowledge of photography is a plus
- Industrial controls (PLC & HMI) – knowledge of industrial controls is a plus
Skills / Qualifications
- BSEE or related field OR 3-5 years of industry experience
- Generating and documenting vision feasibility studies both in the lab and in the field
- System Architecture including investigating new approaches to vision related problems
- Reviewing general specifications and scope of work
- Design requirements that include; Establishing optical designs, generating system mechanical layouts, generating a sequence of operations and camera logic
- Material responsibilities include; advance material order, specifying Vision material, Specifying Panel Material, Writing material BOM's
- Assisting in installation and debug
- Launch and Standby support
- Develop AsBuilts documentation
- Complete system documentation
- Ability to work independently and in a team atmosphere
- Travel Requirements: 30% travel minimum, domestic & international opportunities
- Authorization to work lawfully in the US without sponsorship from Wood is required
- CEC Controls is a Wood Automation and Controls company.