Traction power systems engineer
Serve as a Traction Power Systems Engineer in the conceptual, preliminary and final design for a complex rail transit project. Responsibilities include:
- Work with a team in coordinating systems engineering design and construction services for rail transit projects involving power distribution, traction power, SCADA, substations, and systems integration testing and startup activities.
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation of design drawings, specifications, and reports.
- Assuring accuracy of the work produced by the design team and contractors, including plans, specifications and test procedures/reports.
- Responsible for interfacing with the other disciplines to insure proper coordination of the systems aspects of the project.
- Assist with power systems integration design, verification, and validation.
- Assures compliance of design with all applicable codes and regulations.
- Interface with the Electrical Installation Subcontract Manager to determine schedules, monitor design progress, oversee field work, and coordinate T&C activities.
- Analyze system failures and suggest appropriate resolutions.
- Determine electrical equipment needs and quantities for development of new power systems.
- Coordinate and manage electrical system suppliers in the development, integration, and testing of power distribution and traction power systems.
- Assist in the creation of engineering development test plans, factory acceptance test plans, and site commissioning tests and reports.
- Conduct critical maintainability and test ability demonstrations to confirm equipment can achieve contractual reliability, availability, maintainability, and safety (RAMS) requirements.
To be Considered Candidates:Must be authorized to work in the country where the position is located and be able to interview on site.
Basic Job Requirements
- Bachelor's of Science in Engineering or a related field.
- 12+ years of related work experience is required.
Other Job Requirements
- Knowledge of the principles of power distribution systems and traction power.
- Familiarity with rail transit industry standards, practices, and regulations is required.
- Must be proficient in the use of Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Willing to relocate to Los Angeles, California, if not local.
- Professional Engineer registration is preferred.
- Master's Degree or higher in engineering or related field is preferred.
- Experience in design and/or construction management of rail transit systems/facilities such as traction power substations, rail maintenance & storage facilities, PDS, CBTC, SCADA and APM signals/train control, and APM communications is preferred.
- Previous systems engineering and integration experience on large transit projects.
- Knowledge of railroading, signaling, communications, vehicles, and other railroad technology including requirements management software is preferred.
- Understanding of construction means and methods with previous subcontract management experience preferred.
- Knowledge of central control and maintenance & storage facilities is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings and schematic diagrams.
- Familiarity with Primavera P6 scheduling software.