Systems Engineer - (AER00045I)
This opportunity will provide systems engineering and system level integration support to the MSFC Systems Requirements & Verification Branch (EV73) for the Space Launch System (SLS), and to the MSFC Systems Engineering and Integration Division (EV70).
The successful candidate will coordinate and interface with multiple engineering disciplines, system elements and the Lead Systems Engineer, as well as participate in reviews, meetings, working groups, task teams, and trade studies. The candidate will supply leadership and/or support for the development and maturity of key systems engineering products including System Functional Analysis, System Requirements, Verification Products, and will support program/project milestones.
Specific support that will be provided and performed by the candidate includes:
- Lead and/or support the development of key systems engineering products to include System Requirements that align with the Concept of Operations and trace to the System Functional Analysis, and support of program/project milestones and the subsequent activities where these products are assessed and matured.
- Demonstrated experience with defining, developing, and managing requirements for complex systems of systems, maintaining an approved system baseline, performing functional analysis, and supporting program milestones. Provide technical integration with other engineering disciplines, SLS elements and cross-program elements, including risk-based insight/oversight through traceability and assessment of requirements and related activities.
- Lead and/or support system level vehicle design trades and analysis necessary to validate the requirements and maintain control of the design baseline.
- Provide support for mission definition and mission specific requirements, and support the certification of the SLS design with respect to them.
- Provide support for requirement V&V including V&V planning, execution, coordination, and integration for system level requirements to assure design compliance.
- Identify, describe, and communicate potential risks related to the products, processes and interactions in the systems engineering processes and document them in the NASA Risk Management System.
Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil Engineering or Engineering Mechanics is required. Degree from an ABET-accredited university is preferred.
- PhD and 9+ years of direct experience
- Masters and 13+ years of direct experience
- Bachelors and 15+ years of direct experience
At least 10 years' experience in systems engineering and integration.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office products such as PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The candidate is required to have:
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in systems engineering and integration, requirements management, system architecture definition, functional design, and design integration.
- Demonstrated experience working across organizational boundaries and engineering disciplines to identify requirements and resolve vehicle/propulsion systems integration issues.
- Excellent oral, written, and customer relation skills, and be proficient using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Personnel are required to be self-directed, effective team players familiar with working in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment who are willing to assume lead roles in the SLS requirements management, verification, and validation planning effort.
Additional desired skills:
The presence of one or more of these qualifications will be used as distinguishing factors in selecting applicants:
- An understanding and knowledge of the current SLS program and a working understanding of the SLS Element interfaces.
- Experience in requirements development and maintenance through relational database management and an understanding of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE).
- Familiarity with NASA Systems Engineering policies and procedures related to verification, and have experience using tools/systems to manage verification compliance data.
- Experience in developing verification strategies, verification planning, and facilitating the successful completion of verification compliance activities.
- Knowledge of launch vehicle programmatic planning processes and experience performing oversight of prime contractor hardware production, test, and certification efforts.
The Jacobs Space Exploration Group (JSEG) offers a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally within a framework of strong leadership, competitive compensation, and rewarding career paths. Come join our team on the Engineering Services and Science Capability Augmentation (ESSCA) contract whose work is destined to have a long-range effect on future generations!
For more information on why Huntsville is known as “one of the smartest cities in the nation”, check out these websites
- General office environment (90%), lab environment (10%). Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing (100%). Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client (100%). Requires travel in the domestic USA (<5%).
- Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues (10%). Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks (80%). Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs facilities (10%).
Equipment and Machines:
- Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, fax machine, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
- Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity and adequate arrangements for delegating duties during absences are required.
Other Essential Functions:
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential (100%). Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.