Structural Design Engineer
The purpose of this position is to provide the essential administrative processes, technical knowledge, and perform the work listed. This role has the responsibility to promote Fluor’s competitiveness within the global marketplace by delivering quality services of unmatched value and technical competence. This position serves as an Area Lead on assigned projects or performs moderately complex engineering assignments, evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques to a medium set of difficult assignments.
- Apply Cost Competitive Execution techniques to develop the most cost-effective total project solution for execution of the discipline engineering work
- Develop and review specifications, including design criteria
- Participate in activities associated with equipment and material procurement, permitting, and subcontracting
- Assign work to teams, monitor and manage the work
- Perform and check calculations, specify equipment, and solve moderately complex engineering problems
- Review vendor equipment documentation within the discipline and from other disciplines for compliance with project requirements, and actively seek discrepancy resolution
- Analyze and make independent recommendations regarding solutions to problems with varying complexity in accordance with organization and/or project objectives and guidelines
- Active and ongoing access into the project 3D design model for coordination with all disciplines. Interactive coordination verbally, via email, via Sametime, via WebEx, for integrated design.
- Obtain and/or develop design information and criteria as necessary for design of various structural systems supporting and/or accessing equipment and of building floors, roofs, exterior walls, foundations.
- Set up 3D structural analysis and design model with applicable load cases and perform complete design of various structural systems.
- Perform analysis and design of structural components of structures.
- Perform thorough checking of analysis and design by other engineers.
- Provide supervision to other engineers as assigned and to designers performing 3D model and drawing production.
- Perform thorough check of 3D model and drawings.
- Close interaction and coordination with Fluor Workshare office(s).
- Attend meetings as needed.
To be Considered Candidates:Must be authorized to work in the country where the position is located and be able to interview on site., Must be authorized to work in the country where the position is located.
Basic Job Requirements
- Accredited four (4) year degree or global equivalent in engineering field of study and six (6) years of work-related experience; a recognized professional certification or registration in the applicable field, if required; some locations may have additional or different qualifications in order to comply with local requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively with audiences that include but are not limited to management, coworkers, clients, vendors, contractors, and visitors
- Job related technical knowledge necessary to complete the job
- Ability to learn and apply knowledge of applicable local, state/province, and federal/national statutes and guidelines
- Ability to attend to detail and work in a time-conscious and time-effective manner
- Professional registration and membership in technical society
- Advanced knowledge of discipline codes and standards, commercial availability and cost of materials
- Practical field experience
- Intermediate computer and software skills to include the use of word processing, e-mail, spreadsheet and electronic presentation programs
- Active knowledge and skills in utilization of computer based 3D software for structural analysis and design, such as RISA 3D, SAP2000
- Experience in concrete structures design and mass concrete design is desired