Stress Analysis Engineer - Space Systems
Oceaneering | USA, Clear Lake
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs classical and FEA (linear/non-linear statics, modal, frequency response, random response, explicit and implicit transient) analyses of flight hardware, oil field components and other systems.
- Performs detailed calculations to ensure structural integrity of hardware for failure modes, including but not limited to static, fatigue, fracture, buckling, stability, and creep.
- Performs detailed calculations to ensure structural integrity of mechanical joints such as welds and fasteners.
- Assists the Project Managers and Integrated Product Teams in the support of meeting customer needs, including preparation of proposals, change requests, design reviews, and meeting other requirements related to the design effort.
- Prepares presentations and interim reports based on analysis and test data during the design phase.
- Prepares and coordinates formal design approval documentation and coordinates design approval with customers .
- Assists in the development of fracture control assessment and fatigue-life analysis of flight hardware.
- Uses appropriate analysis techniques, simplifications, assumptions, and experience-based judgments, to solve complex problems.
- Documents analysis results and generates reports for hardware certification.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities
- This position reports to the Senior Engineering Services Manager
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and minimum of ten (10) years of direct experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and eight (8) years of direct engineering experience.
- Experience with human space flight and commercial reusable rocket cargo/payloads, thermal protection systems, and space life support are highly desirable.
- Direct experience with standard thermal software packages such as MSC EASY 5, SINDA/FLUENT, Thermal Desktop, FEMAP and MathCAD.
- Good oral and written communication skills are required.
- BS degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil, Marine Engineering.
- Experience with Fortran and computer programming is preferred