Staff Mechanical Engineer
LyondellBasell | USA, Hanover
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate and supervise an interdisciplinary design team of engineers, designers, drafters, technical writers, and technicians.
- Provide supervision and technical leadership for lower level employees.
- Review progress and evaluate results of work accomplished by self and others.
- Coordinate and direct engineering projects that may include a variety of complex features and design requirements.
- Review and approve objectives, schedules, and estimates for difficult assignments.
- Estimate resource requirements to meet technical and scheduling objectives.
- Review completion and implementation of technical products.
- Ensure that customer requirements are systematically converted into total system solutions.
- Analyze and develop design approaches for complex engineering projects.
- Demonstrate excellent technical judgment and appreciable independent evaluation and ingenuity.
- Make independent decisions to resolve engineering problems and methods.
- Develop and apply advanced engineering design methods, theories, and research techniques within related fields.
- Conduct investigations and tests of considerable complexity.
- Interact with customer representatives to define and manage customer expectations.
- Participate in Technical Working Groups to assess and improve ADTECH processes and capabilities.
- Assist in bid and proposal efforts by providing cost estimations, technical approach definitions, and input to baseline schedule data.
- Evaluate vendor capability to provide required products or services.
- Some domestic and international travel may be required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Ocean Engineering, from an accredited institution. Commensurate experience will be considered.
- 10 to 20 years of practical experience in mechanical engineering.
- 5 or more years of management experience leading multidisciplinary design teams.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Ability to obtain a United States Government Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearance preferred)
- Demonstrated and well-developed leadership qualities.
- Capable of managing technical aspects of important and complex projects.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Excellent analytical skills for preparing and reviewing technical and project reports.
- Advanced knowledge and practical application of engineering principles within all related engineering fields of the company.
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Ocean Engineering or a related field, from an accredited institution.
- Exercise excellent technical judgement, creativity, and initiative with attention to detail consistently throughout your work product, with awareness of the “system” perspective.
- Strong communication, organizational and technical writing skills, including ability to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts and products to team members and customers.
- Knowledge and/or experience in the marine industry, fielding Ship Board systems and associated technologies.
- Hands-on abilities for assembling mechanical components.