Special Projects and O.E. Engineer
- Rotating Equipment Engineers provide engineering support to Sulzer’s production facilities, serve as project manager on projects executed at the RES Houston facility or the field and serve as subject matter expert in several specialized technical roles.
- This job document describes the role and responsibilities of a Rotating Equipment Engineer with the specialty of Special Projects and Operational Excellence Engineer (SPE).
- The Special Projects and O.E. Engineer will be working in supporting three main strategies:
- Strategic Component Development: Support the business with the development of strategic rotating equipment components. The latter will entail design, qualification and manufacturing related activities.
- Special Projects: Direct and execute internal special projects entailing the development of new repair process, lean manufacturing, qualification of existing processes, among others.
- Operational Excellence Initiatives: Direct and execute initiatives to drive efficiency and quality in the facility.
In this role, the SPE will manage, lead and facilitate projects with multidisciplinary teams within La Porte, such as Engineering, Operations, Safety and Quality. In addition to working with outside 3rd party vendors. The Special Projects and O.E. Engineer will be required to have strong interdisciplinary skills in order to support projects resulting from all three strategies.
The Special Projects and O.E. Engineer will be responsible for a variety of tasks, depending on the assigned project and pursued strategy. Sulzer is committed to continue its personnel development and will provide training for the needed specialized tools.
Design Engineering for New Parts Manufacture
- Responsible for all data collection and reverse engineering of samples for the design of critical new parts within the group. Train in different dimensional data collection tools (Manual measurements, Scanning, CAD and Software tools, etc.) and apply learned knowledge on a daily basis.
- Responsible for properly storing and managing information.
- Follow workflow and internal procedures to ensure quality requirements. Implement revision control.
- Participate in the development and continuous improvement of RE and quality procedures through automation and other tools.
- Responsible for developing all models, drawings and specifications needed for the production of critical new parts. Work closely with Engineering and Production to ensure quality and industry standards are being followed.
- Responsible for the initiation and development of complete design projects. Manage critical new parts manufacturing process from reverse engineering throughout the first article manufacture.
- Participate in developing design requirements and validation. Work closely with Production and Engineering and follow design requirements and design plan.
- Responsible for validating design and manufacturing processes and taking new parts from conceptualization throughout process qualification (dimensional, metallurgical, etc.).
- Responsible for assessing and implementing proper inspection tools (gauges, automated inspection programs, etc.)
- Continuously develop Know-How related to different manufacturing processes (casting, forging, additive manufacturing, machining, tooling, etc.) and standards to fulfill quality requirements.
- Responsible for supporting the shop with the design and manufacture of special fixtures in order to increase efficiency and quality
Special Projects and Operational Excellence Support:
- Support the shop with directing and executing special projects and operation excellence initiatives. This can entail the qualification of new processes, as well as the improvement of current technologies.
- Collect requirements and work closely with the shop and subject matter experts in order to develop the scope of work for each project.
- Establish project plans, budgets and manage projects from initiation throughout closing. Report results to group’s Manager and Stakeholders.
- Follow internal quality systems and requirements during the qualification of special processes
- Supervise and lead sub-suppliers in Product & Process Development..
- Keep abreast of new technologies that will help the company achieve its O.E. goals.
- Takes personal responsibility for their own, and co-worker’s safety.
- Identify problems and areas of improvement and notify management accordingly
- Ensure customer visitors have received the required safety induction, are properly signed in and have the required PPE while on shop visits
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or BS or MS in related field or applicable discipline, typically an engineering degree; or equivalent experience if allowed by law.
- Must have authorization to work in the USA for any company without restrictions and without work visa sponsorship.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interface with personnel from diverse backgrounds at all levels of the organization
- Strong mechanical aptitude and ability learn technical and design aspects for Rotating Equipment service and repairs
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Time management skills
- Physical ability to work in a shop environment
- 20% travel
- 2+ years of experience in CAD/CAM using Siemens NX or similar CAD tools
- Experience with Inspection and Quality tools
- 2+ years of experience in the rotating equipment repair industry
- Experience leading project or PMP license
- Experience in Lean, Six Sigma and/or other continuous or process improvement methodologies