Senior Process Automation Engineer
Responsibilities / Duties
- Responsible for tasks such as those listed below when chemical process, product formula, or equipment or instruments are being added, removed, or changed. This role is also involved in designing or modifying Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), and basic process control system (BPCS).
- Designs the control strategy and control systems as well as responsible for implementation, start-up, support/aftercare and long-term performance monitoring. This role is holistic, from initiating new process control improvement ideas, up to commissioning and operating these in the plants. It’s not typical within the industry to unite these responsibilities into 1 individual
- Implements and supports project goals and planning.
- Supports the Lead in the estimation of process control cost and schedule for the project and manage against these baselines.
- The individual is expected to be fully qualified and proficient in the application of chemical process control fundamentals.
- The individual should be able to design and implement process control and process safety strategies for batch processes.
- Determines testing scenarios and executes the simulation of the control system to test the strategy and improvements.
- Develops control software, operator graphics and simulation software especially using Siemens Simatic IT PLCs, WinCC, state-of-the-art Siemens Opcenter MES (Manufacturing execution system).
- Completes the factory acceptance test (FAT) Commissioning.
- Provides training of operations and support commissioning and start-up of the new asset.
- Should have good understanding of vertical integration with Level3 systems – Process Historians, Batch managers, productions operations management (MOM), and basics of ERP System SAP.
- Engages with stakeholders and cross-discipline and cross-functional global project teams.
- Identifies and deploys Most Effective Technology (MET) standard solution components to meet project requirements on Siemens Opcenter based process control solutions.
- Should have good understanding of control system hardware architecture for Siemens Simatic IT based process control solutions.
- The individual is also expected to be part of global networks and hotline support for running assets across different geographies.
- The individual must be able to work with minimal supervision and be self-directed.
- Role expansion is possible, as Dow is investing into innovative improvements capturing value of Manufacturing 4.0 technologies, especially suited for this specific Chemical Vertical.
- Bachelor's degree Chemical Engineering or Instrumentation & Process Controls Engineering.
- 8-12 years of experience in project execution / plant improvement.
- Production/Operations experience is considered as an asset but is not required.
- Strong foundation and skills in all aspects of Process Controls.
- In depth knowledge and hand-on experience on commercial distributed control systems primarily Siemens – Simatic IT (Siemens PLCs, WinCC) and Level3 applications at MES level.
- A good understanding of IT architecture / manufacturing control network (MCN).
- Knowledge of global process automation and process safety standards, (ISA-S95, S88 and IEC 61511).
- Knowledge in commercial applications that are custom built using software’s such as SQL, VBA, Python is an added advantage.
- Domestic and international travel would be required on an as need basis (<25% of time).
- Must be willing to work on projects for different geographies / locations role.
- Fluency in written and oral communication English.
- A robust total rewards program, including: competitive base pay, variable pay that rewards individual, team, and Company performance, and comprehensive benefits
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others