Senior Mechanical Engineer
Wood | South Africa, Johannesburg
Main Purpose of Role
- To coordinate and supervise engineering and design functions within a project / study context.
- Provide coaching and guidance to less experienced staff ( engineers and designers to increase technical competence, as well as knowledge of systems and procedures.
- Undertake Technical reviews/audits to ensure that designs are in accordance with project / study requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost effective manner
- Using technical knowledge and problem solving skills to assist senior and mechanical engineers with the designs on studies and medium /large projects.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the Wood Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Accountable that the quality and content of deliverables of the mechanical design discipline are in line with the needs of the customer and regulatory authorities and responsible for engineering content, discipline design drawings and technical documents within a project / study
- Responsible for production and/or review of engineering deliverables including models, drawings, calculations, specifications, reports, evaluations etc and preparation of technical specifications, contract specifications, design criteria and other documents required by the project / study
- Input to capital estimates including quantity calculations and review and set man-hour budgets for engineering and drafting and recommend engagement of additional manning as required
- Monitor the progress and performance of project discipline teams. Give input and provide feedback and support where necessary
- Oversee and manage design scope changes
- Provide solutions to engineering problems
- Provide feedback to the Project Engineering Manager on design progress budget and schedule
- Reviewing and approving Supplier data
- Perform site inspections, functionality testing and commissioning documentation
- Provide technical support to the onsite construction teams, projects department and estimating department
- Analyse feedback from fabricators and construction personnel to improve performance
- Provide technical and commercial direction to engineers in relation to design quality, design schedules and design budgets
- Review feasibility studies documentation and estimates.
- Assist engineering management to assess the suitability of staff and identify the key resources for specific projects/studies
- Drive professional development of direct reports and other less experienced staff members
- Ensure designs produced are optimal in terms of maintainability, serviceability, equipment operating cost and safe operation
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on projects
- Provide technical design guidance to Project staff on various aspects of design
- Review equipment tenders and produce technical adjudications /recommendations.
- Review vendor documentation for compliance with project / study specifications.
- Attend factory acceptance tests and provide input to vendor’s test documentation
- Assist with plant installation and commissionin
- Liaise with client to ensure that design is in accordance with agreed requirements.
- Conduct regular design group meetings within a project / study context
- Provide timely reports regarding all discussions held and progress made. Ensure all correspondence are recorded.
- Allocate work and provide assistance to discipline engineers and designers on projects / studies
- Input into progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Work closely with other consultants and other disciplines and Project/Study Managers to ensure that client’s objectives are met in a timely manner.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng or B.Tech or National Diploma
- ECSA registered
- Competencies, Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years Mechanical design experience in the mining and minerals processing area with at least 10 years in the mining and minerals processing area in the design office and the field
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of word ,databases spreadsheets and discipline related application software.
- Technical Competence – in terms of core engineering theory from first principles and ability to extend theory to new and complex equipment
Experience in the following areas;
- Ability to problem-solve effectively
- Superior technical engineering knowledge of Slurry pumping, Plate-work design Materials Handling , Crushing and Milling
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong analytical, literacy and numerical skills
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and engineering programs.
- Ability to effectively work in a team
- Effective leadership skills
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Understanding of South African and common International standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector
- Knowledge of specific extractive metallurgy process/chemical engineering unit operations and equipment.
- Site experience – construction and commissioning
- Mechanical Package Experience
- Good commercial awareness/risk management skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A pro-active attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and “get up and go” to manage own work flow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of team work and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as