Senior Applications Engineer (Process Automation)
ExxonMobil | China, Huizhou
Job Role Responsibilities:
- Provide process control applications engineering expertise in support of the design, construction, commissioning, start-up and operations of the ExxonMobil Huizhou Chemical Complex.
- The work includes engineering design, maintenance and trouble-shooting and performance analysis, as delivering improvement initiatives for applications control loops and automation (basic, regulatory, supervisory, and advanced and optimization) delivered within the Distributed Control System (DCS) software platform or interfacing application layer, and the Operator Interface displays.
- Primary contributions as both individual contributor and work-group Lead:
-Apply broad technical and business skills and expertise to solve more complex problems,
-Develop / implement innovative solutions to non-routine problems by leading teams in resolving technical challenges and expanding sphere of influence beyond core technical discipline,
-Implement and sustain base and advanced control, including multi-variable constraint control, model-predictive control, and optimization applications,
-Provide work direction to a group of 3-5 contact engineers,
-Provide technical leadership, quality assurance and manage interfaces to other disciplines,
-Mentor less experienced engineers to develop skills, and
-Provide technical leadership (formal or informal) in operations and small local projects.
- Demonstrate capability to influence without direct authority.
- Utilize depth and/or breadth of experience to identify cross-functional business opportunities and participate in internal company networks to share knowledge and practices to the benefit of others.
- Work effectively with partners and contractors in pursuit of efforts on the projects and assets they support.
- Participate in industry conferences that align with the individual's skills and business focus.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor or above degree in Chemical Engineering / Process Automation / Process Control and Instrumentation.
-Understanding of chemical engineering principles: Heat and Material Balances; Temperature, Pressure, Flow and Analyzer Sensors/Measurements.
-Understanding of unit operations (e.g. Distillation and other towers), reaction engineering, and equipment (Pumps, Compressors, Heat Exchangers, Furnaces/Fired-Heaters, Reactors).
- More than 10 years working experience in petrochemical industry or engineering design.
-Experience in Pre-commissioning, Commissioning and Start-up of process units is an advantage.
-Experience in international projects, multi-national company (MNC), Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprise (WOFE) or JV is an advantage.
- Experience in basic and advanced Process Control Application Technology, including:
-Familiarity with DCS software and hardware platforms from major vendors (Honeywell, Yokogawa, Emerson, etc.) or equivalent,
-Understanding of the fundamental principles of process dynamics and feedback control within a petrochemical plants with continuous and batch operations,
-Ability to design, build, troubleshoot and tune base regulatory control loops and automated sequences as well as advanced control applications within the DCS and as separate applications,
-Able to design, build and modify operator console graphics and displays within the DCS,
-High understanding of related support crafts in engineering and maintenance team (systems, instruments, analyzers, etc.) to work solutions as a team.
- Effective team player.
- Fluent in speaking and writing English.
- Willingness for 1-2 year’s short-term relocation, if required.