Project Engineer – Mechanical
Jacobs | UK, Romney Marsh
Key Responsibilities include:
The current Jacobs Framework supports the client in the following Discipline Areas:
- Project Management
- Project Engineering
- Quality Management & Engineering
- HSE Management & Engineering
The client owns and operates 8 nuclear, 2 coal and 1 gas-fired power stations, plus gas storage facilities, renewable assets and two administration offices. The coming together of the coal, gas and renewable assets with nuclear stations makes it the largest electricity supplier by volume and the biggest generator of low carbon electricity in Britain, providing 25% of the UK’s total electricity.
The projects encompass the full spectrum of the Investment Delivery Process from Concept, through Design, to Implementation and Commissioning. All disciplines, Mechanical, Electrical, C&I, Civils & Construction.
The Project Engineer (Technical) will support either Project Manager or Construction Manager in managing allocated work from assignment to close out covering all duties related to work delivery as requested by the Project Manager or Construction Manager in order to ensure that the work is conducted in a safe, timely and effective manner to its conclusion.
Project(s) in Scope:
- Boiler Lifetime Modifications
- Value – not known
- Discipline – Mechanical
- The Investment Delivery (Projects) Team consist of a Projects Portfolio Manager, Construction Manager, Quality Lead, HSE Lead, Project Managers, Project Engineers, Cost Control, Planners, Document Control and Project Office Support Personnel all working together to manage and deliver the portfolio on behalf of the Engineering Manager.
- Dungeness B Power Station are looking to recruit Project Engineer Mechanical to manage the portfolio needs of investment at the Nuclear Power Station.
- Core capability within electrical engineering. Contract and supplier management.
- Includes engagement with suppliers, agreement of delivery methodology, establishment and assurance of quality plans, review of risk and method statements, preparing and ensuring all work documentation is in place, factory acceptance testing, general support to delivery execution and commissioning.
- Full details of project(s) scope to be discussed at interview stage.
- The candidate should have good leadership qualities, be highly motivated, well organised and capable of working within a closely-knit team.
- They need to be able to respond well to the demands of working in the nuclear sector.
- They need to be able to communicate, build relationships, be proactive and be part of a team.
The project engineer role may vary depending on the specific assignment undertaken but would typically involve the activities below:
- Identifying, implementing and complying with applicable safety, environmental and quality standards, company procedures and policies and other relevant legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Support the Project Manager with day to day activities required to deliver work in line with the project plan including safety, quality, schedule and cost objectives.
- Facilitate and chair meetings as required by the Project Manager.
- Prepare and maintain engineering documentation including Quality Plans and other documents as required.
- Ensure production of technical specifications and support the process of contractor selection and contract placement.
- Review technical documentation including contractor’s documents and drawings when authorised to do so.
- Ensure technical queries are managed in accordance with process and procedures.
- Carry out technical appraisals of project options. Perform feasibility studies, site surveys and liaison with designers and station engineering staff as required.
- Prepare Engineering Changes and manage the preparation of supporting and affected documents.
- Prepare commissioning documents and act as test team leader where appropriate.
- Manage the delivery of assigned engineering tasks ensuring that the work is conducted in a safe, timely and effective manner in line with the relevant procedures
To the Project Manager for:
- Delivering allocated roles and tasks in a safe manner to the specified functional criteria, goals and objectives, compliant with appropriate legislation, Project Procedures and within the approved project baseline, scope, cost, schedule and quality requirements.
- Early identification of issues and/or concerns that either have the potential or will impact the project baseline.
- Providing accurate and timely information, data and reports regarding the project status, activities and performance.
Approvals of the Project Engineer (Technical) in principle are as follows:
- Approval of technical reports, contractor’s documents and drawings within agreed limits and specifically excluding documents needing EDF technical review.
- Ensure that technical queries are approved within agreed limits.
Note1: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the responsibilities & activities that the job holder may be required to undertake
Note2: T&S package is not paid for non-locals
Note3: May be asked to work unsociable hours during Station Outage and provide Weekend / Bank Holiday cover.
Note4: Expected to attend client site during normal working hours Monday to Friday – 40hrs per week
Note5: Please provide travel plan to Site to undertake this role / salary expectation / current notice period on Cover Letter with this application
- Degree qualified Mechanical engineer, HNC minimum level qualification with relevant work experience of at least 5 years
- Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation including Construction Design Management and Health and Safety at Work Act – preferable with IOSH & NEBOSH quals.
- With APSA and EC rights to work on our HV protection schemes, Generator AVR and diesel AVR project.
- Strong understanding of the need for Quality within the project environment and familiarity with the use and structure of Quality Assurance documentation.
- Must be well versed in the preparation of reports and information.
- Suitable relevant project experience within engineering/construction projects, including the application of project management processes.
- Suitable relevant technical experience including the preparation of technical documentation, the review and approval of technical proposals and procedures, experience of construction, testing and commissioning activities.
- Experience of Engineering in a project and operational environment.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Excellent communications skills & interpersonal skills, including questioning for clarification and establishing of facts, observation and active listening.
- Ability to cope well under pressure & work within tight timeframes,
- Clear decision-making ability with the acumen to judge complex situations & assess when to escalate issues.
- Self-motivated, able to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Fluent English – written & verbal.
- Experience working in a regulated nuclear environment.
- Experience working at a nuclear power station.
- Formal project management qualification - PMQ preferable (APMP-level D).
- Awareness of EDF standards & procedures beneficial.
- Membership of an appropriate professional institution.
- French language – written & verbal.
- Health & Safety
- Business Acumen
- Challenge and Change
- Decision Making
- Leadership Values
- Building Relationships
- Leading through Teamwork
- Open Communication
- Developing Self and Others
- Achievement Orientation
- BPSS level security clearance required.
Must recognise the importance of nuclear safety and zero harm.