Air Liquide | USA, Newport
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a safety role model; promote a high level of safety awareness; adhere to and support the continuous improvement of all safety practices / procedures.
- Responsible for capital project management ensuring the physical assets are in place to serve the strategic business plan
- Facilitate changes to existing production processes. Accountable for installation, commissioning, start-up of new equipment and changes to existing equipment. Assist validation of new equipment and changes to existing equipment including document generation.
- Act as change control owner for equipment and process improvement projects. Coordinate change control meetings. Assign action items for change control. Accountable for closing out change control action items and documentation. Documentation includes P&ID; drawings, functional specifications, detailed design specifications, turn-over-packages, material specifications, and other documentation as required.
- Support manufacturing in troubleshooting product and equipment issues. Respond to requests for support from production. Identify improvements to manufacturing process. Improvements may include mechanical, automation, or workflow. Work with manufacturing and capital engineering on the development of future capital projects and on the development of requirements for the project. Responsible for User Requirement Specification development.
- Assist Principle Process Engineers in the execution of small-scale capital projects up to around (USD)500,000, process improvement projects, continuous improvement projects, and equipment improvement projects (expense projects).
- On larger capital projects, the engineer will work with Capital Engineering and Equipment Vendors to ensure process requirements are communicated and built into the equipment/system design. The engineer will develop specifications (user, functional, and detailed design) for equipment and automation of the equipment.
- Develop and maintain overall knowledge of facility processes and products. Provide training on process and/or equipment modifications as required for new or existing equipment/processes.
- Work in conjunction with Engineering Director to oversee completion of capital projects within established budget and schedule
- Perform 'hands on' mechanical and electrical functions when needed
- Devise and maintain system to sheppard and champion the process of scaling up new products from the bench to the plant
Qualifications & Competencies
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical or Mechanical engineering
- 1+ years of previous engineering experience
- Knowledge of chemical processes and associated hazards.
- Demonstrates strong process and operational safety behavior at all times.
- Strong ability to identify problems, root cause and preventative measures.
- Willingness to take ownership in maintaining facilities and pride in results of work
- Understand applicable rules and regulations
- Ability to plan, schedule, organize, prioritize, and coordinate project activities.
- Ability to understand and work within a regulated environment.
- Detailed knowledge of pipefitting, electrical, controls, pumps, mixers, boilers, compressors, general building repair.
- Proven history of working with all levels of the organization
- Able to make effective presentations to diverse groups
- Knowledge of and ability to provide up-to-date technological advances to manufacturing personnel
- Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Black Belt certification
- Ability to function in a leadership role as well as in a team environment
- Office work is typical of the role with significant field and plant exposure
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 24 lbs
- Some travel required