Process Analyzer Engineer
ExxonMobil | India, Bengaluru
- Provide analyzer expertise to assist Operations & Maintenance teams to support reliability improvement and long-term equipment improvement initiatives;
- Develop and manage equipment strategies as per the site safety and reliability practices;
- Collaborate when needed with other engineering disciplines to support miscellaneous asset operations;
- Provide analyzer expertise for field and online analyzer applications (chromatographic, spectroscopic, electrochemical, etc.), physical property analyzers and combustibles and Toxic gas detectors to enable assets to meet safety, environmental, regulatory and process control requirements.
- Monitor process analyzer performance data, apply statistical tools to assess analyzer performance;
- Drive improvements in analyzer performance and quantify the improvements in a performance scorecard.
- Lead/support incident investigations and root-cause failure analysis to identify and address the failure cause and provide appropriate recommendations on risk based work selection;
- Troubleshoot and resolve bad actors.
- Assist sites with lifecycle management to monitor obsolescence, develop and execute plans.
- Provide analyzer training to site personnel.
Remain abreast of industry standards developments (e.g., ASTM, ISA, ISO, IEC); and Identify and support opportunities to improve site analyzer performance:
- Deploy cost effective new technologies;
- Improve work practices and procedures to improve asset reliability and profitability;
- Implement value adding changes in analyzer technology.
Provide design and engineering management support to greenfield and brownfield projects:
- Develop project design specifications for analyzer systems;
- Perform analyzer engineering calculations (e.g., fast loop lag time, probe wake frequency, ventilation requirements, phase envelopes);
- Support cost estimation for analyzers and analyzer systems;
- Provide engineering surveillance on contractor/vendor design deliverables;
- Participate in risk assessment, Hazard Operability (HAZOP), Hazard Identification (HAZID);
- Develop inspection & test plans and support factory acceptance tests/site acceptance tests for new analyzer systems;
- Advise and assist on analyzer testing, commissioning and start-up;
- Understand Company controls and cybersecurity best practices associated with analyzer systems;
- Design and specify on-line analyzers, analyzer systems , shelters for process analyzers specifically for use in oil and gas, petrochemical or refining manufacturing facility
- Bachelor of Science Degree from recognized university in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering (preferably with specialization in instrumentation or electronics), Electronics Engineering, Instrumentation & Control Systems, Chemistry (advanced degree preferred) or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of broad work experience supporting Online Process Analyzers in oil & gas, refining, or petrochemical industry
- Experience of international projects in multi-national company (MNC), Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprise (WOFE) or JV is an advantage.
- Knowledgeable in measurement principles and infrastructure elements for a variety of common process analyzers;
- Knowledgeable and experience in key oil and gas, petrochemical or refining processes and their associated analyzer applications;
- Knowledgeable and experience in various analytical chemistry techniques (Gas Chromatography, Mass Spectrometry, Infrared & Ultraviolet Spectroscopy) Physical Property Analyzers and Gas Detectors;
- Knowledgeable and experience in analyzer communication/transmission protocol and networking consideration for interface to Distributed Control Systems (DCS);
- Familiarity with field and online analyzer equipment from various vendors such as Siemens, Yokogawa, ABB, Emerson, etc.;
- Familiarity with Industry standards, Country-specific regulations (CSR), and local codes;
- Understands general analyzer maintenance work processes (e.g., planning, scheduling, PMs, performance checks);
- Understands the impact of equipment sparing, redundancy, reliability, availability, maintainability, and maintenance cost in support of Operations Excellence and Capital efficiency;
- Understands product quality measurement and Quality Assurance System design and requirements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Willing and able to travel as required, both domestic and international
- Knowledge, skill, and experience in any of the following areas is an advantage:
Knowledge and ability to support multivariate model based analyzer applications for unique process measurements;
Familiarity with multiple open platforms (e.g., MATLAB, Pirouette) to develop models;
Proficiency in using common data analytics platforms (e.g. JMP, Seeq)
Familiarity with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau)
IT skills in OPC servers/Analyzer Data Network and DCS/Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) interface