Principal Design Engineer
Oceaneering | India, Chandigarh
Duties & Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL (9 pt, All Caps)
- Guide, coach and mentor a team of design engineers to enable them handle design projects effectively
- Lead multiple projects simultaneously, including large/complex projects involving multiple disciplines.
- Review work carried out by other design engineers and lead design reviews.
- Ascertain compliance to established Engineering processes by functional or project teams.
- Have complete understanding of the relevant industry codes and standards for the relevant products.
- Conduct Audits on multiple areas of technical expertise to uplift team members competency.
- Develop & maintain individual & team level competency matrices
- Define, review and implement functional processes and work towards continuous improvement
- Identify individual and team level training needs in consultation with line manager
- Prepare & conduct technical trainings
- Act as account manager for one or more business units for design projects
Communicate with business units to understand their design and analysis needs and capture COPQ.
Review and approve RCA and CAPA.
Define scope of work
Build processes to convey lesson learnt back to the team.
Plan jobs and have resources allocated
Share regular updates about work
Monitor performance on relevant key performance indicators
Participate in governance meetings with business units
Identify growth opportunities
- Approve Engineering process documents
- Approve Deliveries, Design Reviews and Calculations made by team
- Provide performance feedback about team members to line manager whenever needed
- Participate in the annual SMART goal setting process for team members
- Evaluate need of resource (people, software etc.) and provide recommendations to line manager
- Approve timesheets of team members assigned
- Provide engineering guidance to other disciplines
- Keep abreast of industry trends and issues
- Has basic knowledge of allied engineering functions
- Work towards individual goals aligned with department and organizational objectives
- Guide team members to have them accomplish their performance goals
- Should be open to travel as per business needs.
- Comply to organizational HR policies and procedures.
- Guide team members about compliance to organizational policies laid out
- Understand and adhere to organizational HSE policies and practices
- Post Graduation (Master degree) in Mechanical Engineering with minimum Six years of relevant industry experience, OR
- Graduation (Bachelor degree) in Mechanical Engineering with minimum Eight years of relevant industry experience.
- Strong knowledge of more than one relevant Mechanical industry codes/standards (e.g.; ASME, DNV, API, AISC etc.)
- Expert level user of 3D CAD software (preferably Solidworks) and PLM/PDM software
- Basic knowledge of AutoCAD & MathCad calculations software
- Basic knowledge of project management software (e.g. Primavera)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
An individual should demonstrate following competencies & qualities to be able to perform this role successfully:
- Communication skills
- Teamwork & Interpersonal skills
- Analytical, problem solving & decision making skills
- Organizing & planning skills
- Mentoring skills
- Leadership abilities