Mechanical Reliability Engineer
LyondellBasell | USA, Pasadena
This role is part of the Bayport Reliability Group supporting plant operation and reliability improvement efforts. Working in a team environment, it carries responsibility for implementing reliability best practices, developing and optimizing preventive maintenance tasks, and supporting maintenance activities. The position interacts with other technical groups on site (process engineering, maintenance, and capital project groups), corporate technical networks and peers, and vendors/suppliers as needed to resolve problems and improve plant reliability and performance.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Apply data analysis techniques to develop engineering solutions to repetitive failures and other problems that adversely affect plant operations including capacity, quality, cost, and regulatory compliance issues
- Consult with peers at the site and across the company
- Serve as a resource and conduit to share best practices and leverage operating improvement opportunities across the site and company
- Provide technical support/expertise within your discipline in the design and installation stages of projects for new assets and modification of existing assets to minimize life cycle cost and maximize asset availability
- Participate in the development of design and installation specifications along with commissioning plans. Participates in the development of criteria for and evaluation of equipment and technical MRO suppliers and technical maintenance service providers. Develop acceptance tests and inspection criteria
- Maintain awareness of emerging technology, assessing applicability to improve reliability and performance, or to reduce maintenance cost
- Lead or participate in incident investigations and root cause analysis
- Manage risk to the achievement of an organization's strategic objectives in the areas of environmental health and safety, asset capability, quality, and production
- Provides input to a risk management plan that will anticipate reliability-related and non-reliability-related risks that could adversely impact plant operations
- Systematically define, design, develop, monitor, and refine an asset maintenance plan that includes:
- Value-added preventive maintenance tasks
- Effective utilization of predictive and other non-destructive testing methodologies designed to identify and isolate inherent reliability problems
- Apply value analysis to repair/replace, repair/redesign and make/buy decisions
- Provide technical support to production, maintenance management and technical personnel
- Lead interdisciplinary reliability improvement teams to guide efforts to ensure reliability and maintainability of equipment, processes, utilities, controls and safety systems.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Strong interpersonal leadership skills are critical due to the requirement for effective communication of complex issues across the organization as well as for mentoring and consensus building.
- The successful candidate must exhibit an understanding of business drivers, management of change requirements, reliability processes, and maintenance workflow. The individual must have or develop basic proficiency in the following areas with the ability to develop into a subject matter expert in particular areas:
- Basic understanding of industry codes and standards (i.e. ASME, API, ANSI)
- Rotating Equipment (pumps, steam turbines, centrifugal and recip compressors, blowers, gearboxes)
- Fixed Equipment (piping, flange make-up, pressure vessels, heat exchangers)
- Machinery diagnostics and equipment repair
- Component failure analysis
- Project Management
- Reliability Engineering concepts
- Reliability data analysis techniques
- Predictive and Preventive Maintenance concepts
- Ability to apply computer software tools (SAP, Microsoft Office, Meridium)
- The successful candidate must have strong commitment to safety, a high level of personal integrity, and dedication to conducting business in an ethical way.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in the refining, petrochemical, chemical process, or power generation industries
- Builds effective teams
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer focus
- Demonstrates courage
- Drives results
- Ensures accountability
- Instills trust and exemplifies integrity