Air Products | USA, Allentown
Job Description and Qualifications
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases and chemicals, has an immediate opening for a Mechanical Engineer at our Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania in the Global Engineering, Manufacturing, Technology and Equipment (GEMTE) Team within the Standard Plants Product Line (SPPL) organization.
The Mechanical Engineer will be a broad-based single point of contact for supporting the GEMTE Standard Plants Product Line – Detailed Engineering Design Team. Mechanical Engineering support will be distributed between Project Execution, Product Development, Product Line improvements, Bid/Proposal Development, and asset management. The position will be a blended role with Mechanical Systems Engineering (MSE) and Mechanical Equipment Design (MED) / Pressure Vessels responsibilities.
- Support of Prism Hydrogen Generators (PHG), O2 VSA, N2 PSA, Nitrogen Generators (HPN), and H2 PSA product lines MSE and Pressure Vessels needs.
- Sizing and equipment specification of pressure relief devices, including piping inlet loss and vent header pressure loss calculations.
- Develop project Equipment Specifications based on process requirements for vendor-designed and built pressure vessels, managing internal and external vessel design. This includes applying mechanical design software to generate equipment designs and supporting calculations to meet ASME code.
- Development / update of special piping specifications.
- Review P&ID’s for material compatibility, MI, design circuits, operability and support the Design Hazard Review process for both Product Line equipment and project execution.
- Specification of manual valves, strainers, and piping insulation.
- Development of pressure tests for project specific requirements as well as standard pressure tests for product line equipment and skidded / packaged equipment sets.
- Interface with Mechanical Equipment Design (MED) function for fatigue service vessel calculations and specifications.
- General mechanical engineering support related to the requirements for Mechanical Integrity (MI) inspections of N2 PSA, O2 VSA, and H2 PSA vessels.
- Ensure ASME and International Code Compliance for vessels and piping (ASME BPV, Section VIII; ASME B31.3).
- Perform review / approval for piping isometric design drawings, vendor mechanical drawings, and product line equipment design drawing packages.
- Support Proposal Management with mechanical equipment and labor estimates for proposed projects and bidding activities.
- Participate in Continuous Improvement activities / teams and drive CI in support of cost reduction for products and project execution.
- Support Operations and Maintenance, as required, on operating issues, repairs, and/or modifications to existing equipment and plants.
- Participate in or support startup/commissioning and shop checkout of plant equipment, including on-site or remote support, development of check-out procedures, inspection / test plans (ITPs), and follow-up on punch list items.
- Candidate should have a Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years’ experience.
- Knowledge of pressure vessels, piping, valve selection, relief device sizing, insulation, sound studies / sound level measurements, ASME BPV and ASME B31.3 Piping Codes.
- Experience in design, engineering, and equipment specification of industrial process plant / chemical plant projects.
- Successfully work both cross functionally and within global teams.
- Possess strong organization, time management, teamwork and communication skills.
- Potential travel up to 10% but could vary based on business needs.