Mechanical Design Engineer - Space Systems
Oceaneering | USA, Clear Lake
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support our NASA/Aerospace customers on various low-earth orbit, deep space, and planetary space missions, including but not limited to International Space Station, Gateway and Artemis programs.
- Work in a team environment to analyze requirements from the customer and develop design solutions.
- Design, develop, test, handle implementation, and analysis of technical products and systems.
- Perform engineering design evaluations.
- Produce engineering drawings conforming to JPR 8500 and other applicable standards.
- Perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects.
- Perform functional analyses, when applicable, and sizing structural analyses.
- Produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5 as well as support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function, and structural strength.
- Prepare and present designs at various design reviews using MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Produce other required design documentation.
Perform other duties as required.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and minimum of three (3) years of direct experience.
- Must have the ability to produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5, perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis including thermal effects, and to support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function, and structural strength.
- Must have experience using solid modeling CAD software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have working knowledge of machine shop processes and familiarization with the structural and thermal analysis process in development of hardware.
- BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- Familiarization with JSC Engineering Drawing System Manual (JPR 8500).
- Familiarization with JSC Fabrication Tolerances and Practices (SKZ36103755).
- Experience using PTC CREO or Pro Engineering.
- Experience using LabVIEW
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lift up to 20 pounds
- Climbing, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and reaching
- Lift up to 10 pounds repeatedly
- Repetitive movements of arms and hands
- Sit with back supported