Mechanical Design Engineer
The Mechanical Design Engineer will:
- Evaluate designs for both flight and non-flight hardware including Structural and Mechanical Hardware as well as piping, structures, and supports.
- Support integration of large assembly and subassemblies by use of system of interfaces and envelopes for the Space Launch System (SLS) program, Human Lander System (HLS) as well as other new and existing programs at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC).
- Provide engineering design support for insight and oversight of time critical hardware design cycles, and support on-going manufacturing of complex assemblies.
- Evaluate and develop Mechanical Interface Control drawings of flight to ground umbilicals.
Job duties will include:
- Work with a team of engineers and designers to evaluate hardware components and systems, develop CREO CAD models representing assembly and subassembly envelopes, develop integration and assembly models and drawings, and provide support of vehicle level analysts.
- Perform tolerance analysis to ensure alignment of large vehicle structures and flight components and document vehicle alignment details.
- Participate in task and team meetings and conferences as requested.
- Collaborate with outside vendors and personnel from other NASA centers on the development and evaluation of integrated flight hardware.
- Develop and deliver reports and presentations to MSFC and ESSCA management as needed.
Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil Engineering or related field is required. Degree from an ABET-accredited university is preferred.
Typically the educational requirements are:
- PhD and 4+ years of direct experience
- Masters and 8+ years of direct experience
- Bachelors and 10+ years of direct experience
Must be HIGHLY proficient in:
- CREO 3-D modeling and 2-D drafting.
- GD&T (ASME Y14.5M-1994).
- CAD drafting standards such as Global Drawing Requirements or MIL-STD-100, etc.
- The MSFC CAD Standard.
- PDM (Windchill) system for active CAD data and lifecycle management.
- Microsoft Office products such as PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with the following:
- Large assemblies and large assembly management techniques.
- Working with surfacing techniques.
- Working with Creo Import Data and data sharing features.
- Handling CAD and drawing CM processes through release.
- Formulating engineering calculations using excel, MathCad, etc.
- Launch vehicles.
- CREO View and/or JT visualization.