Materials Engineer (Polymers)
Schlumberger | USA, Lawrence
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Apply seasoned technical knowledge to various engineering projects on materials and material processing issues.
- Provide material consultation for material selection, property data, failure avoidance.
- Develop new polymer compounds via internal mixing, mill mixing or other methods. Evaluate and modify compound rheology, cure rheology, mechanical and chemical properties to meet product and manufacturability requirements.
- Support polymeric materials manufacturing processes at LTC.
- Provide and troubleshoot polymer manufacturing parameters for LTC production processes, including elastomer compounding, elastomer extrusion, thermoplastic extrusion, transfer molding and injection molding.
- Perform failure analysis of polymeric materials from field locations or from manufacturing processes and perform data analysis to develop advancements for products, focusing on material selection and modification and processing effects.
- Design test plans and lead Validation and Verification testing to qualify materials for a given application, considering mechanical, thermal, chemical and projected lifetime requirements.
- Write materials and process specifications and standards.
- Provide material consultation to InTouch engineers, Field locations and customers.
- Preparation and maintenance of source control and other procurement documentation and guidance for material procurement activities, including assignment of quality requirements for procurements and subcontracts.
- Interface with suppliers and subcontractor representatives n material related activities
- Produce detailed technical reports, and provide effective technical presentations.
Qualifications and Experience:
- MS or PhD in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Polymer Engineering or equivalent required.
- 0-5 years minimum experience in materials science.
- Must have a good understanding of mechanical tools and understand mechanical engineering concepts and principles.
- Sound knowledge of polymeric material science fundamentals including structure-function relationships, rheology, and the relevant impact on engineering applications.
- Sound knowledge polymeric manufacturing processes (compounding, extrusion, molding), and polymeric material characterization techniques.
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship.