Lead Mechanical Engineer , Minerals , Mining & Metals
Works independently at an advanced level completing a wide variety of assignments through the application of advanced engineering theories, techniques, and practices. Has substantial knowledge of relevant regulations, codes, manufacturing standards, and industry standard practices for the control, development, and application of deliverables. May provide discipline supervision for one larger or one or more smaller projects.
Business Development Support
- Assists business development activities by maintaining an up to date personal profile and resume. Builds positive working relationships with external parties such as the customer, suppliers, and contractors. Supports proposals by developing the discipline execution strategy, estimating costs, writing proposal content, and presenting to customers. May be called upon to lead all or part of the technical proposal.
- Supports the business by communicating team resource loading and skill requirements to a direct supervisor or the Discipline Manager. Ensures the project work is covered for vacation and unplanned absences. Mentors/trains and supports the delivery of training. Assists in the employee performance review process. Facilitates coverage of activities when people leave the team. Encourages knowledge of and compliance with requirements and processes. Works to resolve inter-discipline, vendor, and customer issues. Ensures discipline technical work and team activities meet all health, safety, environmental, and security requirements.
- Ensures team member adherence to generally accepted engineering and design practices, regulatory requirements, and customer specifications. Supports the standardization of equipment specifications, drawings, and document templates. Contributes to the understanding of technical knowledge, legal requirements, and customer specifications whenever viable and lawful. Uses local/global standards to support technical excellence. Supports checking, peer reviews, and incorporation of comments and findings.
- May participate in project execution strategy and planning. Knows the project and discipline scope/cost/time requirements, assists the team to meet expectations, and coordinates with other disciplines to ensure project success. Implements innovative solutions, technology advances, and methods to effectively deal with working out of sequence. Supports management of project change and progressing for the discipline and works with the Project Management Team to take corrective actions regarding any issues, staffing requirements, scope changes, progressing, or other events that could affect project completion and/or profitability. Plans discipline quality, monitors quality activities, drives and participates in squad checking, recommends improvements, and takes action where required. Supports work share execution through other Worley offices and Global Integrated Delivery office in Kolkata, India by developing workable scope splits, schedule and alignment of deliverables.
- Gathers data from multiple sources and prepares engineering studies, analyses, calculations, etc. Crafts recommendations and creates final documentation. Determines technical issues, defines alternate solutions, establishes pros/cons for multiple solutions, and makes recommendations through official project documents such as technical queries, technical deviations, etc. Creates final documentation incorporating all relevant information and pursues customer approval. May review similar documentation to assist others and reviews/authorizes work done by direct reports. If designated as a lead on a project, the candidate will be accountable for the engineering delivery of the discipline that includes, safety in design, quality and schedule.
- Incorporates information from multiple sources into equipment/material specifications, data sheets, testing requirements, and material requisitions. Participates in bid clarifications, conducts bid evaluations, completes inter-discipline vendor information review and approval, and finalizes other certification activities. Reviews similar documentation to assist others and reviews/authorizes work done by direct reports.
- Seeks input from knowledgeable sources, participates in constructability, operability, and maintainability reviews, and ensures that requirements are incorporated into engineering/design. Works with site personnel to resolve issues. May create plans or documents that supports construction, testing, commissioning, operations, maintenance, or decommissioning. May provide or lead on-site support for construction, commissioning, or turn over.
What you will bring
Job Specific Knowledge / Experience (Essential)
Typically has 10+ years of relevant discipline experience. Has a strong background in discipline work and a competent understanding of regulations, codes, manufacturing standards, and industry standard practices. Skilled in estimating project costs and writing proposal content. Experience in Mining, Minerals and Metals sector is required. Other discipline specific job knowledge will include; - Experience and knowledge in grass roots and brownfield projects - Selection and sizing of typical equipment used in Mining, Minerals and Metals projects such as crushers, sag mills, ball mills, different types of conveyors and associated equipment used for material handling and ore sorting such as bins, transfer stations and feeders. Pumps and other mechanical equipment. - Development of flow sheets, P&IDs, GAs, equipment specification, data sheets and line lists. - Prepare requisition package for vendor quotes or purchase including inspection and test plans applicable for the equipment. Perform technical bid evaluation on the quotes received and review shop drawings. - Support other disciplines with required process and equipment data. - Perform calculations to support design development - Take ownership of the 3D model as applicable to the project scope and integrate inputs from piping, civil/structural, electrical and instrumentation inputs to the model. Drive 3D model reviews and customer acceptance. - With support of direct reports integrate the following design items in to the overall mechanical design; o Piping design and plant layout for Mining, Minerals and Metals facilities. o Piping engineering design such as pipe stress and pipe supports. o HVAC design o Fire Protection design
Job Specific Knowledge / Experience (Desirable)
Experience working in project leadership. Specialized expertise in one or more areas of regulations, codes, manufacturing standards, and industry standard practices. Understanding of Mining, Minerals and Metals Industry, and specific experience with material handling, ore sorting, concentrators, smelting and refining mechanical equipment.Decision Making Empowered to make responsible decisions. Difficult, complex or unusual decisions are usually referred to more senior discipline members.
Works with self-initiated interaction with supervisor and self-initiated technical guidance. Broad duties assigned at beginning of projects. Work is assigned in terms of objectives, relative priorities, and critical areas that impinge on work of other units. Work is reviewed to ensure policy conformity and soundness of approach. Informed guidance is available.
- Typically up to 10 direct reports consisting of less senior engineers and designers within the same discipline but could include total team size much greater than this with supporting coordination. May have authority for performance evaluations impacting pay.
- Communication Strong ability to Inform and persuade on complex matters through preparation and delivery of proposals, presentations and reports, as well as collaboration with stakeholders and management.
- Systems & Tools (Essential) Competent in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Power point and Teams. Can navigate intranet pages, conduct searches, and retrieve information. Working knowledge on 3D model navigating tool such as Navisworks is required.
- Assume hands-on management and implementation of all relevant company HSE requirements. Drive Safe and Sustainable engineering outcomes throughout the asset lifecycle via the application of SEAL. Role-model a commitment to personal well-being and a pro-active approach to continuously improving health, safety and environmental performance.
- Interpersonal: Builds appropriate, constructive, and effective business relationships throughout the organization; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; communicates clearly, accurately, and consistently both verbally and in written matters. Employs the principles of active listening and encourages feedback from others.
- Teamwork: Enjoys working in a small high calibre team with high visibility to senior stakeholders. Able to work and liaise with multiple teams and stakeholders, able to prioritise workloads and help other team members to achieve team goals.
- Achieves results set by self and others, meets timelines, pushes to achieve stretch goals, and demonstrates enthusiasm, persistence and tenacity. Breaks down work into executable tasks. Acts accountable for work produced and ensures it is "right the first time.”
- Intellectual Capacity: Deals with new concepts and complexity comfortably. Examines problems carefully and thoroughly and understands their interdependencies. Can pull information and ideas from many sources and see the importance of many factors.
Education, Accreditation, Training
Bachelor’s degree in engineering majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Trained in leadership and project execution. Must be a member with Professional Engineers of Ontario or be eligible to obtain membership in a short period.
What we offer you
- Providing an agile culture and challenging work opportunities results in a positive work environment. Our people enjoy competitive compensation packages and a fun, personal, collaborative and safe working environment. We value equal employment opportunity and are committed to promoting fairness, equality and diversity.
- Our policy is to conduct background checks for all candidates who accept an offer of employment with us.
- If you have the passion and talent to keep up, it's time to test the limits of what you can become. Find your future with Worley.