Lead Mechanical Design and Testing Engineer
Roles and Responsibilities
- Quickly create mechanical design solutions of medium to high complexity, both individually and as part of a team.
- Help create project schedules, proactively communicate, and deliver assignments on time.
- Collaborate effectively with experts within the team and in adjacent workgroups, from technicians to industry leaders.
- Identify, confirm, document, and lead resolution of technical risk within each project.
- Provide firm design bases for solutions that meet business objectives, project requirements, and industry standards.
- Prepare and present technical data to co-workers and customers.
- Communicate technical detail to fabricators that promotes efficient and timely manufacture using Engineering specifications and detailed drawings.
- Work closely with technicians to assemble, function test, and prepare tooling for shipment.
- Generate operational guidance, refurbishment requirements, and regulatory justification.
- Contribute to the success of co-workers by providing cogent suggestions during design reviews and an independent critique during design verification.
- Prepare invention disclosures to protect the technology that provides a competitive advantage to the business.
- Help create and conduct tests of new tooling designs in life-like situations.
- Provide emergent issue response during Outage season as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university or college.
- At least 3 years of mechanical design experience on large mechanical structures.
- Expertise in 3-D CAD design and computer skills.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude in the design of mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and electro-mechanical systems.
- Experience in structural design and analysis, tolerances, jointure, welding, and material selection.
- Experience with the selection and use of lifting and rigging equipment including load path definition, alignment with ANSI and AMSE guidance and requirements, and safety factor determination.
- Strong working knowledge of modern fabrication processes and practices.
- Familiarity with Design Thinking principles, Design for Reliability and Design to Cost approaches, and Lean.
- Experience with Inventor, Inventor Vault, and product lifecycle management software.
- Ability to assess improperly functioning equipment and then implement changes.
- Familiarity with methods and approaches for testing new designs.
- Working knowledge of measurement devices and calibration processes.
- Experience in the development of equipment within the nuclear services sector, particularly with regards to services provided during a maintenance Outage.
- Ability to obtain commercial nuclear site entrance.
- Willingness to travel to domestic and international customer locations if necessary.