Lead Engineer - Electrical Engineering
- Insulation Coordination Studies: Determination (by simulation) of temporary and transient overvoltage stresses on equipment and surge arrester energy ratings.
- Network studies: Confirmation of the correct interaction between the equipment, its control system and the rest of the network.
- Reliability and Availability Studies: Creation of overall reliability and availability models for projects and reporting to the client.
- Losses: Calculation of overall project losses and reporting to the client.
- Provide guidance and coordinate the engineering tasks to meet the project/tender requirement.
- Technical responsibility in areas of expertise
- Development and Industrialisation: Develop and industrialise solutions tools and processes associated with the engineering activities identified above.
- Be actively involved in new developments in HVDC technologies, implementing control and protection solutions and creating / delivering new analysis techniques and system study tools in order to provide optimized system study solutions.
- Process Improvement: Review and record design processes and develop new or improved processes.
- Enforce engineering discipline and set processes across all work tasks and adherence to company policies, quality procedures and work instructions (e.g. through trainings, technical reviews).
- Represent the business in external events by publishing technical papers
- Apply yourself towards improving your technical knowledge base and keep abreast of relevant methodologies and technological advancement within the Company.
- Support and mentor other engineers to increase the team’s technical knowledge and competence
- Values: Comply with the GE Values Charter
- Report or resolve any non-conformances in a timely manner.
- Identify and evaluate EHS risks in the team area and implement practical measures.
- Set the example by demonstrating the proper acts and actively observe work conditions and behaviours, giving constructive feedback and celebrating EHS effective prevention.
- Actively participate in defining corrective actions when work is unsafe or when an uncontrolled risk is observed.
- Routinely observe routines and behaviours of others and provide immediate feedback regarding unsafe behaviour and celebrates achievements or safe behaviours.
- Actively and routinely promote the identification of hazards and near misses to their team/s.
Educated with an Engineering degree (or equivalent) including power systems and power electronics subjects (minimum 2:1) with proven professional experience and technical expertise in the field of power system engineering and preferably in HVDC System Design.
- Detailed knowledge of Main Circuit design
- Power Quality Issues
- Knowledge of system tools like PSCAD, PSS/E, DigSilent, RTDS and MATLAB etc.
- Insulation co-ordination and main equipment characteristics for HVDC
- An expertise of the use of computer mathematical and simulation tools as applied to the design of the aforementioned activities
- A general understanding of the characteristics of HVDC Valves and their control systems.
- Presentation ability
- Equipment Specification: Creation of project-specific, high economic value, equipment specifications for equipment such as power transformers, instrument transformers, reactors, capacitors, surge arresters etc.
- Filter Design: Design of AC, DC, high Frequency harmonic filters and screening. Calculations of filter performance and rating. Creation of project-specific equipment specifications for filter reactors/capacitors/resistors.
Able to work to deadlines with high quality, sense of urgency and delivery
- Good technical communication skills
- Self-motivating, proactive and results driven approach
- Strong problem-solving and root cause identification skills
- Precise documentation
- Ability to be a team player and to work independently
- "Professional" approach to engineering delivery
- Right first time attitude