- Materials Engineer provides engineering support and project management for the repair operations executed at the RES Houston facility or the field. Sulzer RES specializes in the repair and overhaul of gas turbines, steam turbines, compressors, pumps and electromechanical equipment for the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical and Power Generation industriesMaterials Engineer has duties and responsibilities in the following areas:
· Materials Sciences (Metallurgy) and Welding
· Mechanical Design and Failure Analysis
· Project Management
· New Parts Manufacturing (NPM)
Materials Engineer provides specialized engineering and analytical services to support repair projects executed at the RES facilities or standalone engineering services rendered directly to end users with the following, but not limited to, responsibilities:
- Weld repairs of rotating equipment components.
- Development and maintenance of weld procedures (WPS) and qualification records for them (PQR) per ASME BPVC Section IX requirements.
- Provide guidance to the internal customers regarding the selection of materials suitable for the specific components and applications.
- Perform review of the incoming material certificates to ensure the purchased material meets the defined specifications. Identify potential trends in materials availability so that internal specifications may be reviewed and updated.
- Maintain company’s compliance with ASME BPVC "U" and "R" stamps, including renewals of these certifications.
- Serve as a Project Engineer for the projects where expertise in materials or welding disciplines is critical for success of the project.
- Responsible for the general outcome and execution of the analytical project when other engineers serve as collaborators
- Interface with sales and operations during the development of technical proposals
- Responsible for defining the work scope and cost estimation of technical and engineering services to be included in technical proposals
- Write technical documentation (reports and memos) addressing any material/welding related issues for internal and external customers.
In addition to the above responsibilities, Materials Engineer provides support to Subject Matter Expert (SME) – Material and Welding and other Rotating Equipment Engineers in the following highly specialized areas:
- Lead and manage the internal Research & Development (R&D) projects and initiatives related to:
- Development of new weld procedures
- Development and improvement of protective coatings
- Additive Manufacturing (AM) processes qualification and material specifications
- Development of other advanced repair techniques where deposition of material is required (laser cladding etc)
- Scoping and performing Metallurgical failure analysis
- Development of material specifications, manufacturing process specifications and reviewing testing criteria (including NDE) for New Parts Manufacturing (NPM) initiatives.
- Development and maintenance of internal material specifications for forgings, castings and shop consumables.
- Development and qualification of different manufacturing/repair/installation processes that are to be performed for the first time at Sulzer RES La Porte (Such as blade tenon peening, flaring of rivets etc.,)
- Provide engineering dispositions for the requests related to materials conditions, their weldability and fitness for service.
- Promote Sulzer expertise and increase company’s recognition in the industry by writing and presenting technical papers at the conferences, trade shows and user groups.