Field Engineer - Coatings, insulation and fireproofing
The Insulation/Coatings/Fire-proofing Field Engineer reports to the Area Field Engineer and is responsible for the technical oversight of all insulation, coatings and fire-proofing activities within their respected area. This scope will expand to the entire job site as needed and directed by the Lead Field Engineer - CIF. The selected applicant shall support the Superintendents responsible for executing the insulation, coatings and fire-proofing work. He/she is responsible for the execution of the following activities:
- Work with superintendents to develop detailed work packages and installation schedules for insulation, coatings and fire-proofing commodities.
- Develop and implement Inspection and Test Plans for each major activity
- Inspection of field installations and completion of associated documentation.
- Responsible for quantity take-off, control, reporting and forecasting for all relevant commodities.
- Prepare field change documentation and as-built documentation as required.
- Interface with engineering office to resolve design and constructability issue.
- Assist civil field engineers and superintendents in constructability and quality issues.
- Initiate and submit works packages to release various commodities for insulation, coating and/or fireproofing work to supervision.
- Work with the suppliers and subcontractors to ensure compliance with project drawings and specifications.
- Prepare material requisitions, coordinate and review vendor drawings.
- Work with Procurement's expediting team to ensure the delivery of vendor materials to support the projects schedule.
- Interpret design drawings.
- Complete insulation and fireproofing material take-offsProvide technical support for the administration of the subcontract for insulation supply and installation
- Monitor, inspect and verify subcontractor work to ensure adherence to project drawings and specifications.
- Assure that materials are stored properly to ensure environmental protection.
- Complete Material receipt inspections as required.
- Reviews specifications, inspection reports, delivery schedules, instruction manuals and technical data.
- Assist with preparation of construction estimates.
- Recommend design or installation improvements to improve safety on the project
- Ensure that relevant inspection documentation is completed accurately and submitted to support system turnovers and completion and turnover walk-down inspections are completed for assigned systems.
Qualifications and Skills
- University/B.S degree in Civil or Structural Engineering is desired but may be waived if equivalent industry experience can be demonstrated.
- 6 years minimum experience in design, application and/or inspection of insulation, protective coatings and fireproofing systems
- Experience specifying coatings for a variety of materials and how coating compatibilities work
- Experience with fire-proofing and fire-resistant systems
- Familiar with material insulation and insulation systems
- Experience specific to cryogenic insulation design, installation and/or inspection is a definite asset.
- NACE certification is recommended but not required
- Experience working in direct hire and subcontract construction environments is preferred.
- Understanding of applicable Bechtel work processes including Standard Work Process Procedures is preferred.
- Experience in oil, gas, refinery, petrochemical, minerals processing or power generating station construction is preferred.
- Familiarity with Bechtel Standard Applications (BSAPs) including InfoWorks, TEAMWorks, BPS, PTR, eSub and other automation tools which are used on Bechtel projects is an asset.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Working knowledge of applicable industry codes and standards.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving ability
- All applicants must have the right to work and remain in the United States.