Environmental Engineer (Energy, Emissions and Carbon) - Aberdeen or London based
- The Environment Team currently has a vacancy for an Environmental Engineer, to be based in either Aberdeen or London, UK. If you enjoy a fast-paced working environment, developing approaches to combine the technical challenges of delivering energy projects with carbon management then we would love to hear from you.
- You will work as part of a highly skilled team, working with a wide range of clients on varied and interesting projects related to the energy industry. The Genesis Environment Team comprises a broad range of specialists including engineers, marine biologists, chemists, geologists, and GIS specialists.
- As the Energy Transition gathers pace, we are working with our clients to manage the carbon intensity of energy provision. These new challenges are driving even closer collaboration between the engineering and environmental teams in Genesis and we are growing our existing team to support these exciting projects. You will support environmental assessments and studies for a variety of projects in the UK and overseas with a particular focus on energy efficiency, emissions trading scheme compliance, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions and de-carbonisation.
- The successful candidate will work within the Environment Team, interfacing with the wider Genesis organisation through interactions with other discipline teams and providing environmental technical inputs on a variety of projects for public and private clients in the UK and overseas. Provision of environmental engineering expertise with particular emphasis on emissions to air, energy management, emissions trading scheme compliance and de-carbonisation.
- Working as part of a team to identify and assess opportunities for de-carbonisation including energy efficiency measures, flare management, methane reduction and renewable energy options.
- Characterisation and quantification of emissions and discharges for the energy sector.
- Forecasting energy demand, emissions and discharges for the energy sector.
- Preparation of new environmental permit applications and / or variations to existing applications (with emphasis on those related to combustion plant i.e. PPC and EU ETS).
- Review of engineering design documentation and drawings in support of environmental studies.
- Input to HAZID/ENVID reviews and multi-discipline engineering projects.
- Preparation of ‘best available techniques’ assessments.
- Preparation of air dispersion modelling and air quality assessments.
- Identification and interpretation of relevant regulations and standards.
- Provision of environmental engineering technical and compliance advice.
- Interaction with clients to ensure delivery of requirements to agreed scope, schedule and budget.
- We would like to hear from you if you’re looking for a new challenge, that will provide the opportunity to join a successful and dynamic team.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree qualified in engineering or science.
- Experience in a similar role would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of industrial emissions legislation and the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme.
- Knowledge of environmental engineering techniques and solutions (pollution control and mitigation).
- Knowledge of renewable energy options.
- Strong time-management skills and therefore good planning and organisational abilities.
- Problem-solving and analytical thinking.
- Excellent written skills, with good attention to detail.
- Strong team player with excellent time management skills.
- Well-motivated and able to work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to think innovatively.
- Commercial awareness.
- Computer literate including in standard MS Office software use