Engineering Manager - Rail - (BI 0009XB)
Allocation of work:
- Maintain a master schedule to allocate resources on their projects and bids.
- Provide integrated teams for project delivery that aligns with competency requirements and minimises office interface.
- Liaise with other EMs for additional resources and with the applicable Heads of Discipline (HoD) for supply chain where necessary.
- Through liaison with the HoD, seek assurance that the Task Manager is allocated to any project or bid has the appropriate expertise and experience for the role.
- Liaise with the Project Manager to ensure that the office has sufficient resources to support the project.
- Project Management and Engineering Interface:
- Champion the consistent use of Jacobs delivery tools/processes which ensure that all parties have an agreed understanding of the project and their part within it.
- Bid Strategy, Interactive Planning, Design Input Statement, Inter-office Work Agreements, and output from Client Expectation Surveys, Client Satisfactions Surveys, and (where appropriate) feedback against Network Rail’s KPIs.
Excellence in engineering delivery:
- Champion a culture of getting it right first time.
- Support the HoDs to drive efficient design – making use of a database of standard solutions.
- Support the HoDs through DRNs analysis etc to identify where training, recruitment etc is needed.
- Support the HoDs and Head of Engineering is ensuring a consistent approach to engineering delivery across all disciplines / offices.
- Provide engineering input into PQQs, bids and the development of momentum work on active project.
Engineering Approvals / Acceptance office analysis:
- Drive continual improvement of our deliverables by using the DRN analysis and other Client feedback to track positive and negative trends from previous months stats.
- Implement improvement measures and share good practice as applicable.
- On a day-to-day basis, be aware of delivery commitments made by each of the disciplines in the office, the issues which could adversely impact delivery, and take appropriate action to address delivery issues as necessary
- Ensure that the Rail Director and Project Manager is kept informed on delivery progress.
- Maximize the appropriate allocation of engineering resources to optimise backlog utilization.
- Work closely with the office Rail Director to maintain throughput of work through prospects and bids.
- Liaise with the HoDs to ensure forward resource predictions are available through the discipline capacity or supply chain.
- Maintain a headcount to deliver backlog and ongoing business requirements.
HR & Business Support:
- Support the HoD with recruitment and onboarding of new staff.
- Lead and support Business Development opportunities across the UK.
- Act as a line manager with responsibilities to engage, develop and monitor staff competence and capability.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree (BSc, MSc, BEng, MEng) or equivalent Degrees.
- Experience in multidiscipline design/design management.
- Knowledge of Rail and able to lead and guide others in implementation of Rail standards.
- Knowledge of Eurocodes and British Standards.
- Ability to undertake Engineering Manager and Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) role on Rail Projects.
- Ability to undertake Project Engineer role on NR and/or High-Speed Rail projects.
- Previous experience with NR Assurance Process and working on NR design projects.
- Understands NR and high-speed operational environment and constraints to development and vision to find solutions to operational constraints.
- Understands and previous experience with High Speed Rail engineering assurance processes.
- Rail System Engineering including; Requirements Specification and Management, Designing for robustness (Whole System Lifecycle), Safety by Design and System Integration and Verification.
- Ideally a Chartered Engineer.
- High Speed Rail experience.