Air Liquide | Japan, Kobe
Responsible of the performance of the engineering team within the project organization. The Engineering Manager (EM) has three major key functions:
- Organizing the engineering activities for the large scale project execution
- Supervision and coordination of the engineering activities,
- Managing of internal and external interfaces of the project.
The EM significantly contributes to the overall project success and is responsible for:
- Leading the engineering team and ensures completeness of the engineering / design deliverables. In large projects, the Engineering Manager may be supported by a Project Engineer.
- Organizing the Engineering activities for the large scale projects, and define the suitable engineering strategy to achieve large projects objectives
- Besides full time responsibility for the performance of the engineering team, the EM has an overall responsibility which is not limited to the engineering phase. The EM’s ownership reaches until acceptance of the plant.
- Managing the interfaces between the disciplines as well as between own and third party supplied engineering and the client’s design representative.
- Insuring the approval all Project Technical Documents through project governance and ensuring adherence to company policies, processes and procedures both local and global level.
- Aligning all multi-discipline engineering activities by implementing various defined GATE processes (defined in various discipline specific checklists) in a project to enable smooth and error-free passage of engineering phase to further procurement and construction phases.
- Being the focal point to capture, track and mitigate technical risks, changes and hold points during the complete execution of engineering phase of a project. EM will contribute, by continuously challenging the existing processes, in early detection of non-compliance and non-conformities.
- Ensuring quality of engineering deliverables and material supply according to contract requirements
- Providing realistic and reliable forecasts on man-hour consumption, quantities, cost, achievement of milestones and freezing dates
- Managing man-hour consumption, quantities, cost, achievement of milestones and freezing dates and deviations
- For the execution of the project, the EM shall demonstrate strong technical expertise, strong management and leadership capability. The EM shall also demonstrate ownership for HSE.
Competencies and Profile
- Master's degree in Instrumentation or Chemical Engineering, superior grades
- 10+ years experience in a plant engineering company as engineering manager / project manager with large scale engineering project coordination. Gas, and Hydrogen process knowledge would be appreciated.
- Fluent in Japanese, and English.
- Good understanding of the engineering function, cost basis and requirements within EPC projects
- Eager to work in a multicultural team, high level of mobility - willingness to travel for a short term business trips to plants under construction and operation worldwide and other engineering centers;
- Strong ability in technical matters with an emphasis on safe, compliant, reliable, efficient and practical solutions
- High communication skills, acts in an open, transparent and consistent manner, considering the interests and perspectives of others; behaves within the norms of local, legal, social, and business environments
- Anticipates and takes initiative to overcome challenges and barriers; reprioritizes as appropriate
- Maintains, develops and applies technical or specialist knowledge to stay up-to-date with innovations and developments in the industry and continues to offer best practice solutions. Develop people in the team, and share the best practices.