Engineering & Delivery Lead – Power Transmission
- Sizewell C (SZC) will be a next-of-a-kind, to secure a low-carbon energy future, nuclear power plant in Suffolk, England.
- With construction of Hinkley Point C successfully underway, we are now developing plans to build an identical power station on the Suffolk coast, known as Sizewell C (SZC).
- The SZC Project is a diverse and collaborative organisation committed to engaging stakeholders, obtaining development consent and preparing for construction of the power station.
- The construction contracts are categorised by Programme and are broadly: Equipment, Conventional Island,
- Nuclear Island, MEH, Main Civil Works and Enabling Works.
- Sizewell C is a circa £20bn project.
- The Sizewell C Project requires a number of Engineering & Delivery Leads to drive the delivery of engineering work by the Responsible Designer (RD) and support the procurement of key contracts.
- The objective of the role is to sufficiently advance the engineering and secure the supply chain to de-risk the SZC Final Investment Decision (FID), through the maximum possible replication of the Hinkley Point C (HPC) detailed design.
- The Power Transmission Engineering & Delivery Lead will work closely with the SZC Supply Chain team to prepare for the delivery phase of the project.
- This is a great opportunity for a project engineer or project manager with experience of manufacturing, installation and commissioning of high voltage electrical equipment, preferably in the transmission or distribution sector.
About the SZC Engineering & Delivery Team:
- The Engineering & Delivery team is at the centre of this project, responsible for delivering ‘next of a kind’ savings and finding innovative solutions to the challenges posed by such a complex and high-profile project.
- Our mission is to drive engineering work, engage with suppliers, develop the construction plan, and manage the delivery of major construction contracts. We are building an adaptable and agile environment, offering modern working arrangements and flexible benefits that have won national recognition for diversity and inclusion.
Principal Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Take a global overview of the SZC power transmission systems (generator step up transformers, station transformers, 400kV switchgear, underground cables, protection & control, etc.) to ensure maximum replication of HPC and prepare to deliver these for SZC.
- Prepare to award engineering and construction contracts, managing the technical elements of the procurement process as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Drive the implementation of SZC site-specific design changes into the design deliverables, including contract specifications to enable robust pricing.
- Manage interfaces between contracts and programmes to ensure a coordinated approach to design and delivery.
- Manage early engagement with stakeholders (including equipment suppliers) to identify obsolescence issues and other risks to replication.
- Maintain strong links with the project managers and engineers responsible for delivering equivalent scope at Hinkley Point C and implement all lessons learned.
- Note1: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the responsibilities & activities that the job holder may be required to undertake.
- Note2: Travel costs for non-local candidates would be considered.
- Note3: Based in Client office - Monday to Friday – 40hrs per week.
- Note4: Please provide travel plan to undertake this role / salary expectation / current notice period on Cover Letter with this application
- Electrical engineering, significant relevant industry experience.
- Experience of manufacturing, installation and commissioning of high voltage electrical equipment, preferably in the transmission or distribution sector.
- Demonstrable experience in delivering a similar role.
- Experience of coordinating multi-disciplinary design/procurement work and driving design/procurement teams to deliver on time.
- Project management or project engineering experience.
- Good understanding of the complexity of major projects, including interface management between scope areas.
- Experience of the pre-tender and tender stages of procuring contracts for the design, manufacturing and/or installation of industrial equipment.
- Excellent communication skills in client-facing and contractor-facing situations.
- Proficient user of MS Office.
- Fluent English – written & verbal.
- Previous engineering or project management experience in the nuclear industry.
- Chartered Engineer qualification.
- Formal project management qualification.
- Direct experience of procuring equipment or installation contracts for nuclear power stations.
- Nuclear experience, working within a regulated, licenced environment.
- French and/or Chinese language – written & verbal.
- Puts Health & Safety at the top of the agenda.
- Shows flexibility and an ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances.
- Is able to make decisions and take action even when faced with ambiguity or uncertainty.
- Encourages a culture of continuous improvement and the safe expression of ideas and constructive challenge.
- Remains focussed under pressure, thinking clearly and objectively.
- Builds trust and inclusion.
- Builds positive team spirit and a climate of feeling valued and supported.
- Co-operates with others to help the achievement of broader project goals.
- Demonstrates and encourages awareness of our commercial performance.
- Systematically changes structures, processes, ways or working and behaviours to drive economic sustainability.
- BPSS level security clearance required