- Design electrical components and systems used in the subsea robotics industry.
- Coordinate outsource designs with suppliers and interface them with in-house developed products.
- Create bills of material and oversee creation of drawings to support designs.
- Analyze design reliability, safety, serviceability and manufacturability.
- Collaborate with mechanical, electrical and software on detailed design work, and work with sales and service on product research and definition.
- Work as part of a team to help define electrical product safety requirements to reduce risk related to high voltage systems.
- Conduct FMEAs to identify and prevent potential failure modes in designs.
- Perform engineering duties at customer sites or offshore when required.
- Drive continuous improvement to electrical best practices by evaluating industry tools and techniques, then collaborating with the Electrical Engineering team to discuss implementation.
- Maintain an awareness of how assigned tasks impact schedule, scope, budget, quality and safety at every stage of development from concept to end of life.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or related field from an accredited college or university
- 3 years’ work experience in design of 3-phase 480VAC power distribution up to 500kVA
- Strong understanding of medium voltage circuits up to 6kV with transmission lengths up to 10km including:
- Impedance, voltage drop, load calculations, and wire sizing
- Short-circuit calculations for main breakers and distribution lines
- Familiar with design principals of induction and PMSM type motors
- Experience creating electrical schematics in CAD
- Proficiency selecting and qualifying appropriate components such as: breakers, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, VFDs, and motors
- Experience with control systems and feedback signals such as:
- PLC’s and microcontrollers
- 4-20mA current loops
- Serial communication using RS232, RS485, CAN, and Ethernet
- Communications protocols such as MODBUS and TCP/IP
- Understanding characteristics and their appropriate usage of grounding systems such as TT, TN and IT
- Excellent leadership, problem solving, and collaboration skills
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Professional Engineer (PE) license
- A strong understanding of electronics and their relationship to software, firmware, and mechanical interfaces and operation in a number of electrical specialties.
- Previous PCB design experience – Altium software preferred
- Familiar with industrial automation, panel layout, and component selection
- Familiar with industry standards such as UL, CE, NFPA, NEC, and DNV
- Familiar with the following software tools:
- Mechanical: SolidWorks, AutoCAD
- Electrical: Altium, AutoCAD Electrical
- MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project
- Regularly required to stand, walk, bend, kneel, listen and speak for long periods of time.
- Manual dexterity using hands, fingers, and arms to push, pull, reach, grab, hold, and lift.
- Wear steel toe shoes, safety glasses and other personal protective equipment as needed in safety zone areas, including additional required high voltage PPE.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Frequent use of PC.