Oceaneering | USA, Hanover
Duties & Responsibilities
- Given requirements for a subsystem, generate proper designs and work to complete tasking with latitude to make decisions under limited supervision – individually and in a teamwork environment.
- Exercise excellent technical judgement, creativity, and initiative with attention to detail consistently throughout your work product, with awareness of the “system” perspective.
- Prepare and participate in regular design reviews.
- Work closely in concert with mechanical, software, and systems engineers, as well as other cooperative disciplines, to solve problems and constructively architect a working system.
- Responsible and accountable for your results, working with considerable autonomy, but also knowing when to ask for assistance.
- Desire to stretch and expand your talents, expertise, competency, and responsibilities.
- Bachelor of Science or advanced degree from an accredited university in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (or related field/curriculum having an Electrical concentration, such as Computer Engineering or Robotics Engineering).
- Entry level, knowledge and desire to gain practical technical experience in the creative (Electrical) engineering process, including participation in the concept, analysis, simulation, design, drawing, assembly, integration, troubleshooting, and testing of complex electrical, electromechanical, and automated/robotic systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a United States Government Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearances preferred, but not prerequisite).
- Must be a US citizen.
- Select and integrate varying pieces of high-tech Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) equipment to interoperate well together, including designing necessary interfaces.
- Select and size current and latest available electrical and electronic components and wiring devices, such as signal conditioning, power supplies, control devices, switching devices, SSRs, safety devices, terminal blocks, connectors, DIN rail, wiring, cabling, marshalling, dressing, etc.
- Select and interface components of industrial quality embedded microprocessor, single-board computer (SBC) based control systems, including defining necessary signals, sensors, and actuators, and selecting appropriate I/O; may also require some custom electrical designs where COTS components are either inadequate or unavailable.
- Design, interface, translate, and integrate various data communications signaling, such as Ethernet, USB, RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc., including their associated media and protocols in high-noise potential environments.
- DC power systems design.
- Calculate and estimate system power and energy requirements.
- Wiring, cabling, and grounding design for minimizing electrical noise and EMI, as appropriate.
- Good electrical drawing/drafting skills – accurately create and read detailed schematics, wiring diagrams, cable drawings, system cabling and block diagrams, etc.
- Experience in proper use and application of various standard electronic test equipment; e.g., DMM/multimeters, oscilloscopes, power analyzers, spectrum analyzers, communications analyzers, CTDR, OTDR, optical power meters, etc.
- Experience with advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD), Simulation, and Analysis software packages such as Altium Designer, SPICE, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MathCAD, MATLAB, etc.
- Proficiency with common office productivity software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, etc.
- Good written and oral communications skills, including ability to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts and products to team members and customers.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Knowledge/experience in the marine (surface or, preferably, underwater) industry and associated technologies, including ROVs, AUVs, and related robotic and electromechanical systems; also sonar systems.
- Knowledge of applicable industry professional, technical, and military standards (IEEE, ANSI, IEC, ISO, NEMA, NEC, MIL, etc.)
- Good practical technician skills (assembly, wiring, soldering, cabling, etc.)
- Knowledge/experience with fiber-optics.
- Knowledge/experience with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design.
- Knowledge/experience with brushless motor drives, robotics, and automation.
- Knowledge/experience designing, analyzing, and tuning closed-loop feedback control systems.
- Knowledge/experience with low-medium voltage, single- and 3-phase power systems (120, 240, 480, 3000+ VAC).
- Knowledge/experience applying machine safety systems and standards.
- Knowledge/experience with programming languages and/or script writing (software).
- Ability and flexibility to travel on occasion, typically pre-planned for up to one to two weeks at a time; may be within the US, outside the US, or offshore, onboard a boat.