El Segundo Machinery Engineer
Chevron | USA, El Segundo
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Support all phases of machinery engineering from concept development, scoping, selection, manufacturing, technical audit, final acceptance, start-up, troubleshooting, and failure analysis
- Work with Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, and RER personnel to increase machinery Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF), minimize down time, and increase Solomon Mechanical or Operational availability
- Prepare, review, and approve machinery or component purchase specifications. This may include preparation of engineering, operating, maintenance or reliability standards, policies and instructions within the refinery
- Provide technical review and approval of vendor calculations/drawings and technical reports
- Spearhead resolution of quality issues during equipment manufacturing, witness and approve factory acceptance test results on behalf of the company to ensure compliance with Chevron Engineering Standards (CES)
- Lead machinery initiatives and studies to improve plant safety and reliability
- Participate in resolution of all operational and reliability issues as may occur during start-up and during normal plant operation
- Participate in troubleshooting complex machinery problems, develop alternatives, and work with RER team members and others to propose and implement solutions for long-term reliability
- Answer technical inquiries, make technical recommendations, improve design tools, and develop design procedures
- Promote adherence to CES for new or modified equipment and ensure the CES Governance Process is followed for any deviations
- Evaluate gaps in CES and recommend changes; facilitate local review of new or revised standards prior to implementation; aid in the deployment and interpretation of CES
- Participate on Global Manufacturing and Corporate Best Practices teams
- Interface with Global Manufacturing and Corporate Best Practice teams for sharing of lessons-learned and to investigate new technology or new applications of existing technology
- Communicate technical ideas to a wide range of groups and facilitate meetings of cross-functional teams
- Responsible for preparing and delivering training courses to less experienced engineers, RER, Operations, Maintenance, etc. and mentoring of others
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering
- Complex Process Facility experience
- Demonstrated experience with rotating equipment required (field troubleshooting, equipment selection and specification, vibrations analysis, failure mechanisms, etc.)
- Ability to read and understand engineering manuals and codes, perform engineering calculations, and read technical drawings.
- Proven ability to analyze and understand complex situations quickly and develop practical, appropriate solutions to resolve high impact people/business/process issues.
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to changing work priorities and deliver high quality, accurate work with multiple deadlines.
Teamwork / Build Relationships:
- Demonstrates pro-active, collaborative approach with ability to build positive, productive relationships within department and organization.
- Interface effectively with Operators, Mechanics, Vendors, Contractors, Management, and other groups to meet business objectives.
- Consistently demonstrates behaviors to focus on work, align and inspire, grow capability, and deliver results.
- Ability to set priorities and work effectively with minimal direct supervision
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills; must be able to effectively communicate in all directions
- Listen and properly regard input from all team members and stakeholders
- Facilitate meetings and deliver training courses