Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Provide engineering support for daily, routine operation of multiple process units within the refinery. Support requires collaboration and interpersonal skills necessary to work with operations, maintenance, and technical functions within the global refining system.
- Working with operations and technical teams in the field to scope/troubleshoot mechanical issues in process plants, develop alternatives, and propose and implement improvements to long term reliability and total cost of ownership.
- Develop, review, and manage engineering work for projects ranging from upgrading piping metallurgy or repairing a valve to replacing large complex equipment or pressure vessels.
- Develop purchase specifications for engineered mechanical equipment that ensures the equipment meets company and industry standards and manage the technical requirements for procuring the equipment.
- Participate in the planning and execution of unit turnarounds, both planned and unplanned.
- Answer technical inquiries, make technical recommendations, provide equipment and system troubleshooting, improve designs engineering tools, and develop designs engineering procedures.
- Carry out various studies to improve plant safety, reliability, throughput, and economics.
- Provide engineering analysis and evaluation of minor capital projects. In some instances, responsible for design, management and execution of minor capital projects.
- Responsible for personal improvement of both soft and technical skills through formal and informal training.
- Be a role model for the Chevron way, Tenets of Operation, and Chevron’s safety culture.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering is required (mechanical preferred)
- Minimum of 2 years of engineering experience
- Experience in a daily technical support role for an operating facility or area, refinery or complex processing facility preferred
- Basic understanding of refining processes and the interactions between refinery units
- Basic understanding of phase gate work processes for project planning and execution
- Basic understanding of estimating tools and cost controls
- Demonstrated Job Knowledge and Proficiency
- Engineering: knowledge of design standards and practices
- Experience with industry standards, including but not limited to, API, ASME, ASTM, NBIC
- Experience with internal company standards such as Chevron Corporate Engineering Standards
- Experience with engineering software tools such as Compress, CAESAR II, Solidworks, etc.
- Experience in navigating various systems of record and maintenance management/procurement systems
- Experience with equipment purchasing including, but not limited to, new equipment design, calculation, drawing, and ITP reviews
- Experience with tanks and related equipment including but not limited to design, fabrication, and repair standards
- Proven ability to:
Understand and analyze technical issues in a complex processing facility
Read and understand engineering manuals and codes
Perform engineering calculations including, but not limited to, pipe thickness and stress calculations and pressure vessel design and thickness calculations
Read P&ID’s, plot plans, piping, and structural drawings
Manage multiple initiatives and tasks simultaneously
Prioritize work and meet changing demands, strategies, and situations
Develop action plans with clear goals
Balance long-term assignments with short term requirements
Work well during periods of high activity and tight deadlines
- Relocation may be considered.
- Expatriate assignments will not be considered.