Deputy Area Lead Field Engineer
Bechtel | Chile, Los Pelambres
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Responsible for the activities of assigned construction engineers, such as the application of drawings, specifications, and subcontracts.
- Directs preparation of quantity listings of field purchased material and equipment. Initiates requisitions for field purchases.
- Supervises preparation of construction drawings and schedules. Supervises design of temporary construction facilities and ensures preparation of “as built” drawings and other job plans.
- Assists subordinate construction engineers and superintendents in:
Interpreting design drawings.
Monitoring equipment installation and planning for delivery of construction materials and equipment.
Assuring that proper warehousing and storage exists to ensure environmental protection.
- Reviews specifications, purchase orders, subcontracts, inspection reports, delivery schedules, instruction manuals and technical data.
- Administers assigned subcontracts to ensure contract remains up to date in areas such as drawings, specifications, cost and schedule.
- Coordinates with the Field Construction Manager on activities affecting the contract administration operatioCoordinates with engineering design on constructability issues.
- Supervises subcontractor work efforts and administers routine subcontract changes and interfaces with client personnel. May represent the company in contractual discussions and negotiations.
- Reviews and/or supervises, as assigned, the preparation of construction estimates, cost engineering studies, schedules and budgets.
- Analyzes assigned construction activities to determine the scope, time and resource requirements.
- Ensures that vendors’ bids for material and equipment are in conformance to specifications.
- Coordinates the interfacing between the construction automation plan and the project controls program at the jobsite. Reviews project controls documents on progress relating to cost and schedule.
- Performs personnel evaluation of assigned subordinate personnel and ensures they receive progressive training.
- May direct minimal numbers of manual craft field forces during project closeout.
- Works with various functions to ensure the project achieves corporate goals set for environmental, safety & health, quality, cost, and schedule.
- Technical knowledge of a specialized engineering discipline, cost, scheduling and/or contracts administration relating to the construction of heavy industrial or commercial complexes.
- Demonstrated leadership in a team-based environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the application and requirements of the Project Environmental, Safety & Health (ES&H) Handbook and the Bechtel Core Processes as they relate to area of responsibility.
- Familiar with Bechtel’s Business Ethics handbook and policies.
- Prior experience supervising and administering subcontractors.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s “Zero Accidents” safety program.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications in accordance with current Bechtel Standard Application Program (BSAP) standards.
- Knowledge of the use of subcontracts; knowledge of the contractor/ subcontractor’s responsibilities contained in subcontract documents.
- This knowledge is normally gained through:
A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, OR
Specialized courses in construction management, AND/OR
Work experience as a construction engineer, engineer or assistant superintendent leading to an understanding of the technical knowledge described above.