Control Software Engineer
About NOV and Rig Technologies
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV) is a leading provider of technology, equipment, and services to the global oil and gas industry that supports customers’ full-field drilling, completion, and production needs. Since 1862, NOV has pioneered innovations that improve the cost-effectiveness, efficiency, safety, and environmental impact of oil and gas operations.
- NOV Rig Technologies makes and supports the world’s most advanced drilling solutions. With a long history of manufacturing advanced drilling equipment packages—think top drives, iron roughnecks, drawworks, BOPs, and risers—as well as complete land rigs, we're constantly working to solve our customers’ operational challenges. We're designing new technology and robotics that deliver increased automation; expanding our training offerings to help our partners close the industry's generational gap; and developing smarter, more advanced drilling solutions for all types of land and offshore environments.
- We're continually pushing our own standards higher to deliver the safest, most efficient, and most reliable drilling solutions in the world. Join us as we continue to power the industry that powers the world.
- NOV is currently recruiting for a Control Software Engineer to join our team at our Richmond Avenue location in Houston, Texas.
- Our newly formed Digital Group are looking for talented individuals interested in Machine Control Systems, Process Automation, Robotics, Big Data, Data Analytics area.
- As a Control System Software Engineer, you will be a key developer in a cross-functional development group. You will be expected to design, implement and test control algorithms for NOV’s latest Drilling Equipment for both land and offshore applications. The software you program will control and interface with hardware; collect and analyze data; interact with databases and provide interfaces to the users.
- Work closely with subject matter experts to design control algorithm for NOV drilling equipment
- Design,develop, and debug control software and human machine interface (HMI)
- Design and develop software utilities and execution tools
- Provide Engineering expertise and technical support for both internal and external customers in the Field, either in shipyard or on customer rigs.
- Interface with customers and other NOV facilities to troubleshoot existing systems; propose new technical solutions for Control Systems.
- Create, review and approve design documentation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Demonstrated ability in Control Systems, Instrumentation and signal processing
- Experience in PLC and HMI programming (Prefer Siemens)
- Fluent in one of the Programming Language: Java, C, C++
- Understanding of various communication protocols: Modbus, Profibus, Ethernet, etc.
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Flexibility in handling multiple projects and changing priorities.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- Preferred Skills and experience:
- Embedded System design and programming
- Knowledge of Software version control system (SVN, GIT)
- Ability to read electrical, hydraulic schematics drawings.