ADTS Engineer - Toronto - Virtual
LyondellBasell | Canada, Toronto
- This position reports to ADTS Polypropylene Compound (PPC) Manager. The position offers a competitive base salary, bonus, RRSP matching, generous benefits package and employee discounts.
- This position can require greater than 50% travel and will be located in a home office situated in the South Western Ontario region (Toronto area) serving LYB customers located in Canada . The primary focus with internal and customer interaction will be but not limited senior level competence’s surrounding all aspects of injection molding processing, tooling and part design along with material recommendation capabilities.
- The ADTS Polypropylene Compound (PPC) role works directly with customers to support LYB business via various plastic conversion processes such as injection molding, part design, process optimization, tooling issues, troubleshooting, cycle time optimization, cost savings recommendations and new application program launches. The role works in conjunction with the LYB Sales Account Manager to achieve LYB business plans (current business) and new business awards (future growth) at assigned customers.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills to document via call reports, customer visits and plastic injection molding trial summaries and to internally convey customer requests and resin needs. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate the ability and desire to work independently with limited direct supervision and be self-motivated. This position requires travel sometimes exceeding 50% of the time.
- The candidate must be willing and able to attend LYB meetings and customer/trials in the USA if required.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Comply with all LYB requirements and policies related to business ethics, code of conduct and safety.
- Provide technical service to customers as required to support product/application launch and ongoing business in the following areas:
- Direct troubleshooting applications with process and or tooling concerns at customer plant locations.
- Work with customers regarding cost savings or process optimization opportunities.
- Support newly awarded programs with part design, shrinkage estimations, mold filling analysis reviews, gate optimization, plastic injection molding trial support and product recommendations.
- Assist in the growth of LYB APS business by identifying and influencing share-shift opportunities and promoting future program awards.
- Work directly with customers to clarify technical and commercial requirements for new applications and suggest suitable products that provide value to the application.
- Work with Sales Account Managers to develop a business strategy for all assigned accounts.
- Assist in the validation of compound product transfers or product rationalization.
- Identify, research, and validate new application development opportunities in alignment with the APS business unit growth strategy that provide technical innovation and value creation to our customers.
- Participate with the global teams to ensure the implementation of global strategies.
- Participate in industry trade conferences as required to keep current on market knowledge and market trends.
- Participate and present in Customer workshops, lunch and learns as required.
- Support Plant Quality, Sales and PAD in quality claims internally or externally.
- Adhere to the LyondellBasell requirements of intellectual property and product stewardship.
- All other duties that could be assigned in order to achieve the growth and EBITDA goals and professional development.
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. or equivalent.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience required
- Proven experience in process and troubleshooting methods in plastic injection molding.
- Self-motivation – ability to work independently, prioritize customer scheduling and deliver results with limited supervision.
- Significant travel will be required (sometimes greater than 50% of time).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, open to listening and sharing experiences.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to analyze problems quickly and summarize effectively.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to work effectively with cross functional teams.
- English proficiency in addition to any regional language requirements.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, write routine correspondence effectively and to speak fluently with internal and external customers.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Plastics/Polymer Engineering, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in technical environment such as R&D, Manufacturing, Application Development, Plastic Processing including troubleshooting, part/tool design is preferred.
- Experience with other types of plastic conversion processes such as blow molding, rotational molding, extrusion or film conversion methods is a plus.
- Technical experience in plastics processing, tool design and materials.
- Work directly with Customers, Sales Account Managers and New Business Development to clarify technical and commercial requirements for new applications and make suitable product recommendation.
- Previous managerial / supervisory experience is a plus.
- Accredited Six Sigma Green or Black Belt is a plus.
- Ability to build broad and diverse relationships with assigned customers.
- A basic understanding of plastics compounds properties, performance and characteristics.
- Perform competitive benchmark analysis.
LyondellBasell Core Competencies
The successful candidate will have the following competencies:
- Instills Trust and Exemplifies Integrity: Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Demonstrate Courage: Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said, acting with integrity, doing what is right.
- Building Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Ensures Accountability: Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives, within and across functions.
- Cultivates Innovation: Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful. Uses lateral thinking. Questions the status quo.
- Customer Focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions. Focuses on internal and external customers.